Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmers take home pay

Options
  • 04-05-2016 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Farmers

I hear a lot of talk that farmers are earning little or no money due to the fall in milk prices and that most of the money is spent in the farm on feed, fuel etc.

I would like to know what is your average take home pay after all bills and taxes have being payed?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mecgrad13 wrote: »
    Farmers

I hear a lot of talk that farmers are earning little or no money due to the fall in milk prices and that most of the money is spent in the farm on feed, fuel etc.

I would like to know what is your average take home pay after all bills and taxes have being payed?

Thanks

Dirt before the brush comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Farmers

Thanks

Sure what's your address I,l send you on the account,s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

ONE MILLION DOLLORS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

From all types of farms in 2014 the average was E 25,000. From dairy at the top at 60,000 down to cattle rearing at 9,700 with sfp making up average of 60% of income.
    In dairy the cost of production for a litre of milk was average in 2015 25cents. And the price they are getting is average 26c. At average 5000lts per cow/per year , with 100 cows thats 50 per cow or 5,000 euros per year total:D. Anyone paying off big expansion loans will be loosing money as their cost per litre will be higher:(. Most dairy that haven't got the big loans would be used to certain peeks and troughs in price and can average their earnings over many many years. But yea the milk price is terrible at moment.
    Meat prices aren't the greatest either.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaDerv

Honestly I think a lot of farmers are too proud to admit what they take home for their work. Much like bits are always added to the figures they made at the mart or taken off what they bought.

Personally I'm only in my second year farming and invested heavily in stock so I can't give a proper figure. I can tell you I owe the bank money! Needless to say I have a job aswell as farming as the majority have to now to subsidise farming. It's a hobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

How many of us on here are part timers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Willfarman wrote:
    ONE MILLION DOLLORS!!!

No more than you deserve. A fair wage for a hard days work.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

ganmo wrote: »
    How many of us on here are part timers?
    I will put up a poll

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Farmers

Thanks
    Most farmers are only turning money over, going through thousands every year and it goes out as fast as it comes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Most farmers are only turning money over, going through thousands every year and it goes out as fast as it comes in.

This is the nature of any business....though would make interesting reading on %profit of turnover after loans/taxes etc paid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Sam Kade wrote: »

How Come then whenever land comes up for sale their are always customers?. I know they borrow but that means even more money to pay back.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Love that AIB slogan from 12 months ago just at the peak of the dairy expansion boom - "We are backing brave":cool:
    All the hallmarks now of the celtic tiger building boom.
    Seriously though how can anyone in farming make it pay via bank borrowings. Things are tight enough with zero loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Right do you mind me asking what your take home pay is ,what tax u pay ???.its a personal question and no ones business bar your own same as mine .
    What I will tell u is I am a self employed full time dairy farmer .My typical work day is out of Bed at 6.30 start at 7 and finish at 1800 .Thats an 11 hour day Monday to Saturday all flat pay none of this ot crap !!!.sunday is same start and finish time but usually from 11 to 4 I do shag all .spring time I might as well live on the farm as calving /calf rearing in full swing . if I were paid for all hours I work I'd be a millionaire !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What about putting up an anonymous poll with brackets? Then no one is giving away any information

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

mahoney_j wrote: »
    if I were paid for all hours I work I'd be a millionaire !!!!

Looking at it from the other side, I'm working out that over the last 4years since I've been full-time on the farm I've netted about 4 or 5euro an hr. I'm actually doing better than I expected ha, given where the business was back then, and what it is now, it was all a worth while investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭alps

Farmers

Thanks

I can tell you an interesting fact. I have access to the costs of production of dairy farmers throughout Europe, and in the year 2015, without exception (including Ireland)
    the take home pay of the farm workers has been higher than the farmers....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭visatorro

alps wrote: »
    I can tell you an interesting fact. I have access to the costs of production of dairy farmers throughout Europe, and in the year 2015, without exception (including Ireland)
    the take home pay of the farm workers has been higher than the farmers....

That's why we should all triple cow and hire a few lads. Oh wait something amiss isn't there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

That's pretty much the same for most high paying jobs out there though as they don't own the business and don't pay anything back

Not saying that a farm worker would be a high paying job

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Farmers

Thanks

In most cases the income is less than the SFP/BPS, which means it's costing us money to produce the food you eat.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

As im fond of reminding my wife im a kept man

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

visatorro wrote: »
    That's why we should all triple cow and hire a few lads. Oh wait something amiss isn't there

The last man that tried that, oops I better say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

The cows are milking me rather than me milking the cows was best quote I seen in the journal today

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

This is interesting - a pole would be good.

I can't understand how farmers survive (the majoirty of them) The basic payment is only going downwards. I'm a part time farmer. My off farm income goes up a few percent each year and there is also promotion possibilities over the long term. But i'm getting less each year for every hour worked from the farm.

How will most farms survive if the incomes are squeezed further. I have to seriously question lads renting land for tillage and even now dairying. Lads out ploughing and combining untll all hours on rented land. They'd get far more money working in Aldi or Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

adam14 wrote: »
    This is interesting - a pole would be good.

I can't understand how farmers survive (the majoirty of them) The basic payment is only going downwards. I'm a part time farmer. My off farm income goes up a few percent each year and there is also promotion possibilities over the long term. But i'm getting less each year for every hour worked from the farm.

How will most farms survive if the incomes are squeezed further. I have to seriously question lads renting land for tillage and even now dairying. Lads out ploughing and combining untll all hours on rented land. They'd get far more money working in Aldi or Tesco.

There are other ways of accumulating wealth than cash in your back pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Dawggone wrote: »

https://youtu.be/3WJuyTjqlXs

I coach afew teens in the local running club and if the topic of what the hell they will do after school comes up they quickly get directed to the above video ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

I very often find your posting style abrasive dawg, but this post is nail on head.

Timmaay wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/3WJuyTjqlXs

I coach afew teens in the local running club and if the topic of what the hell they will do after school comes up they quickly get directed to the above video ha.

Love it..."all retch and no vomit"....

Grueller wrote: »
    I very often find your posting style abrasive dawg, but this post is nail on head.

Abrasive? Gave up political correctness before it became hip.

After many years doing the hard yards, it opens your eyes to those that I'm paying to do the soft mile....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Cash in the back pocket is needed along the way though

Advertisement