Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First tattoo

Options
  • 04-05-2016 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

like the title says, im getting my first bit of ink in two days. ive always wanted a tattoo but wanted to wait till i was old enough and if i really wanted one, they are forever after all. im nearly 25 now. i know.. im going to sound like a right pussy but im bricking it! ive zero pain tolerance ha. im just wondering is it as bad as everyone says? by the way its on ny wrist. not in the middle but off to the side. its a symbol of those who fight the battle of depression, anxiety and suicide thoughts so it means a lot to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Is it the semi colon?

If so, it won't take very long at all!

Everyone has a different pain threshold, but in my experience, tattoos in general aren't too bad. They sting, and I've been told the ribcage is a bitch but they're generally fine. It's not gonna be half as bad as you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rebecca G.

yes it is! i aked about cream to numb it they said yes they dont mind but a more known place i asked actually told me to cop on more or less ha
    Is it the semi colon?

If so, it won't take very long at all!

Everyone has a different pain threshold, but in my experience, tattoos in general aren't too bad. They sting, and I've been told the ribcage is a bitch but they're generally fine. It's not gonna be half as bad as you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Rebecca G. wrote: »
    yes it is! i aked about cream to numb it they said yes they dont mind but a more known place i asked actually told me to cop on more or less ha

There is a tread further down regarding numbing cream.

It will be a un comfortable pain but you adjust. Eat right before hand and have some chocolate and energy drinks with you if needed. It sounds like a small tattoo so it should not be too bad. Just follow the aftercare advice and then plan your next one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It's genuinely not as sore as you think it will be. The fattier the body part the more painful it will get because they have to go in deeper with the needle.

You'll be surprised when they are done because you'll have barely felt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

It is sore. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar. But it's not unbearably sore. It's more like a constant pinch.

Sounds like a small one so it'll be over quick and after it just feels like a bit of sunburn. Like others have said, just bring a bottle of lucozade if you're worried and you'll be fine.

I waited until I was 20 for my 1st one cos I "just wanted ONE tattoo" LOL. I'm 27 now and I have 4 and working on another so good luck with your future tattoos :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The best way I could describe it was like if you have sunburn and scratch it by mistake.

It does hurt, but it's quite bearable and I say this as someone who has a low pain threshold. Make sure you get a good sleep the night before and eat something before you go in so that your blood sugar doesn't get low. If it's a small tattoo it'll be over before you know it and you'll probably find yourself planning your next one on your way home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Usually I find that it's worse during the middle and it's not so bad at the start - but recently when I got one on my upper arm, straight away I thought "Oh jesus....this is what the next 4 hours is going to be like??" :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

I think it depends on the area and the persons threshold. I'm not sure on the wrist though. I do know the chest was sore, particularly in the fattier areas like other posters mentioned above.

To me it felt like a cat scraping me when getting outline done and then when the shading was being filled it was less painful but irritating. Everyone is different but I remember googling beforehand and reading about the torture and agony on getting your chest done. However it was nowhere near as bad as I had read online. So if you go in with the mindset that it's gonna hurt really badly, it won't.

Make sure you bring a bottle of coke and chocolate if it's gonna take a while, help keep the blood sugar levels up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

My first tattoo was 4 x 4hr sessions covering my whole side! Might as well start big :pac:

But yeah, make sure you've some food in your and a lucozade or something. Since it's a small one I'm sure you'll be ok regardless because it won't take that long!

Good luck!

Advertisement