Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIM Level 2 Protocol

Options
  • 04-05-2016 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We are just about to start using BIM Level 2 Protocol in the office and I'm considering using the numbering system below so that the drawing stage is visible at a glance:

100-199 Prelim Design
    200-299 Planning
    300-399 Fire Cert
    400-499 DAC
    500-599 Tender
    600-699 Construction

For example, xx-yy-P1-GF-DR-A-0201 would be visible as a phase 1, ground floor, 2D planning drawing prepared by the architect and xx-yy-P1-GF-DR-A-0301 would be visible as a phase 1, ground floor, 2D fire cert drawing prepared by the architect without actually opening up the file to view the title block.

Just wondering if anyone out there was using any alternative systems or what they think of the one proposed above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

There's one very large public sector body who insist that the "tender" drawings should be of a standard suitable for construction and hence should be the labelled as construction drawings.

I've seen them check that the tender documents say "construction" and not tender.

Provided your nomenclature is internal only or not explicitly explained I can't see this catching you here - but something to be aware of all the same if you are doing projects for a certain nationwide employer! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jason_Arch

Tim76 wrote: »
    Hi,

We are just about to start using BIM Level 2 Protocol in the office and I'm considering using the numbering system below so that the drawing stage is visible at a glance:

100-199 Prelim Design
    200-299 Planning
    300-399 Fire Cert
    400-499 DAC
    500-599 Tender
    600-699 Construction

For example, xx-yy-P1-GF-DR-A-0201 would be visible as a phase 1, ground floor, 2D planning drawing prepared by the architect and xx-yy-P1-GF-DR-A-0301 would be visible as a phase 1, ground floor, 2D fire cert drawing prepared by the architect without actually opening up the file to view the title block.

Just wondering if anyone out there was using any alternative systems or what they think of the one proposed above.

That looks like a good enough system, I'm about to prepare a BIM plan for our office here too. Are you going to number H+S in its own separate section?
    There's one very large public sector body who insist that the "tender" drawings should be of a standard suitable for construction and hence should be the labelled as construction drawings.

I've seen them check that the tender documents say "construction" and not tender.

Provided your nomenclature is internal only or not explicitly explained I can't see this catching you here - but something to be aware of all the same if you are doing projects for a certain nationwide employer! ;-)

The naming convention he is suggesting is compliant to BS 1192:2007 so it should be suitable for whatever the client requires. If a public sector body rejects the use of the BS then there is something badly wrong.

Tim76 wrote: »
    Hi,

100-199 Prelim Design
    200-299 Planning
    300-399 Fire Cert
    400-499 DAC
    500-599 Tender
    600-699 Construction

That looks like a good enough system, I'm about to prepare a BIM plan for our office here too. Are you going to number H+S in its own separate section?

The naming convention he is suggesting is compliant to BS 1192:2007 so it should be suitable for whatever any client requires. If a public sector body rejects the use of the BS then there is something badly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Jason_Arch wrote: »
    The naming convention he is suggesting is compliant to BS 1192:2007 so it should be suitable for whatever any client requires. If a public sector body rejects the use of the BS then there is something badly wrong.

I agree!

I too disagree with Tender drawings being labelled as construction ones - just relaying an experience I have had. Not directly in this context though.

I've been playing around with Revit trying to tie the naming conventions from the BS into our existing title block, I've had to set up some Shared Parameters in my title block family but its not too difficult once you get going.

In doing it I've had a think about the numbering system you've proposed and although it would seem fairly useful I don't think in practice dividing the different stages up would be all that useful. For instance, Prelim Design drawings will be in a completely different folder location to Tender drawings therefore setting your file limits to 100 files for each stage would be prohibitive (remember, ALL file types have to follow the file naming protocol, not just drawings).

I think the suitability field could be used to help differentiate between the stages and of course you can append the drawing number with a description using the _description field.

• Advertisement
Advertisement