Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graffiti on my apartment

Options
  • 04-05-2016 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

About 2 months ago the apartment I rent on the first floor got graffiti put all over the walls outside my front door. I've contacted the letting agents and they keep saying its with the property management company.

2 months seems like a joke. Its not a bad looking building but now the hall looks like the set from trainspotting and like we live in a slum.

What can I do?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You need to write a letter to the agent and outline a realistic time to rectify, e.g. two weeks. Specify that should it not be done in that period that you will have it done yourself and seek repayment from the agent in line with RTA 2004 clause 12(g). Unfortunately as this is not an issue of urgency, you must give a realistic time to resolve. Make sure you have it sent registered post and keep a copy for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Katsumoto47

You need to write a letter to the agent and outline a realistic time to rectify, e.g. two weeks. Specify that should it not be done in that period that you will have it done yourself and seek repayment from the agent in line with RTA 2004 clause 12(g). Unfortunately as this is not an issue of urgency, you must give a realistic time to resolve. Make sure you have it sent registered post and keep a copy for yourself.

Thank you for the fast informative reply!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I think if it's outside of your apartment, in a communal area, it would be up to the management company, not the letting agent, to take care of the issue. Have you contacted them yet?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

miezekatze wrote: »
    I think if it's outside of your apartment, in a communal area, it would be up to the management company, not the letting agent, to take care of the issue. Have you contacted them yet?

A tenant has no legal relationship with the management company save through their landlord or agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Katsumoto47

A tenant has no legal relationship with the management company save through their landlord or agent.

Yeah we've no contact with the management company or the landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Maybe inform them of when the graffiti happened, and that you've informed your letting agents, but nothing has been done.

Word it more of a FYI that it has happened, than a demand to get it fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Neither the tenant nor the landlord has the authority to "rectify" grafitti on the exterior wall of an apartment block. I would expect attempting to do so would, however absurdly, expose them to a charge of criminal damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Yeah we've no contact with the management company or the landlord.

I'd still let the management company know.

All it takes is a phone call or an email, and if they are good they will fix any genuine issue with the common areas no matter who is reporting it (it is at least the case in the building where I live).

Of course if they decide to ignore you, you have indeed no legal relationship with them and can't force them - and will have though the agent. But it is worth a shot as it could get the issue solved faster and save you the trouble of chase your uncooperative agent.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Neither the tenant nor the landlord has the authority to "rectify" grafitti on the exterior wall of an apartment block. I would expect attempting to do so would, however absurdly, expose them to a charge of criminal damage.

I'd like to see the case where a management company attempts to press charges against a tenant for slapping a bit of whitewash on the wall to cover the graffiti that they wouldn't remove themselves.

The letter is more a statement of their obligations to the tenant, I would not expect it to get so far as the tenant actually needing to get the wall painted themselves.

Edit: after re-reading clause 12, I would change my advice. If the wall is outside the remit of the landlord's responsibility, then the landlord is obliged to notify the management company in writing the complaint and forward any response to the tenant. The management company are also obliged to outline the steps taken to remedy the complaint.

Advertisement