Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fabric for sewing/quilting?

Options
  • 04-05-2016 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭

Hi, folks. I am sure this has been answered in another thread somewhere but I am having no luck finding it.

I bought a sewing machine first thing when I moved here from America two years ago to be with my Irish husband in Ireland. It has seldom been out of its box except for the occasional mending job on clothing. I've often been really sad about that because I worked for a large fabric shop in the US and I made a lot of my own clothes. I also belonged to a quilters' guild and made quilts. I have never lived where I didn't have access to a major source of low-cost fabrics.

What on earth do people in the West of Ireland do when they want to make their own clothes, home dec, etc.? Prices for fabric around here are five to ten times what they were for the same length/width in the US. Can you please share with me what you do when you need fabric to sew with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

I dont sew but I have sometimes heard friends who do saying they order fabric online. There are a few craft places around like Crafty Stitchers in Liosban in Galway or The Crafter's Basket in Sligo that you could try, I dont know how their prices compare to anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It well worth a trip to Dublin for the shop in Mountjoy square or Newbridge for uphostry fabric.

http://www.fabricsireland.com/contact.htm

http://fabricoutlet.ie

For quilting and quality dressmaking fabric , Treads of Green in Kilkenny are good.

threadsofgreen.ie

I'm in the south east and I make a trip up about twice a year for fabric. I can get the basics locally in Guineys etc.

True none are cheap

If you have relitaives in The US, it might still be cheaper to get some sent over!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I've asked around and apparently people use a lot of sheets, lol. I'm from the South and all I can think of is the scene in Gone with the Wind in which Scarlett makes a dress out of the curtains. But whatever works; fabric is fabric. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

My wife buys a lot of stuff in charity shops. Anything thats got some useful material in it is fair game (including lace) also worth mentioning what you are looking for as you can often get stuff for for free that would otherwise go for recycling. You need the right mind set to look at stuff as you have to be able to see beyond the €5 skirt and see the the value as material. You'll also get good curtains for next to nothing. Its just a matter of looking at the material and its value and not what the material is made up as.

Edit> And I forgot another classic, not as easy to get as they used to be and rarely free but old (last years) pattern books from places that make up upholstery and curtains can contain loads of gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,203 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Have a look here - https://www.minervacrafts.com/ they have a very reasonable postage policy. It is difficult to buy fabrics locally now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Haven't sewn much in a while, but what I did last time I wanted a big batch of quilting fabrics was to order the Kona colour card and then use that to pick the fabrics I wanted, which I ordered online. I think I ordered from fabric.com but there may be cheaper sources now.

This thing:
    https://misformake.glopal.eu/p-221943805.html?utm_source=www.misformake.co.uk&utm_medium=pr&utm_campaign=en_GB

It's not the cheapest quilting fabric, but it's good quality and it mean I knew exactly what quality and colour I would get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shanic

Hickeys Homefocus does material too. When I lived in Cork I went there regularly enough as they had a bargain basket with reasonable enough prices but most were curtain/ cushion materials. Like someone also mentioned Guineys too but alas not much choice here in the north west :'( I crochet and be extremely envious of the yarn shops in the US!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

I know its a few months away but the Knitting and stitching show in the RDS is worth travelling to Dublin for.

Advertisement