Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New roof vent

Options
  • 04-05-2016 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for a little collective experience here. Want to replace a Fiamma roof extractor fan (40 x 40cm) in our motorhome with a simple vent to let in more light. Thinking of changing it to either the Heki mini plus or a Thule version available from Donaghies. Apparently the Heki has slightly tinted plastic, does this still let in plenty of light? Has anyone fitted one themselves, is it straightforward, any tips? I think I need to widen the roof hole by 1cm each side to fit a new one in. Has anyone the Thule vent? The current one is a permanent ventilation one, which is draughty when driving for kids in back. Do either of these "whistle" once fitted. Any comments or advice welcome!!

Also, are mastic strips specific to campervan/ caravan providers or can you pick this up at a hardware store?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

The mini heki is aerodynamic and when fitted with the hinge to the front theres no whistling, it also includes the pleated blind and pleated flyscreen so factor that in when comparing the cost with the thule, the tint is slight don't think you'll notice the tint from the inside. Its available vented and unvented.

Only complaint about the mini heki is that it will blow open in storms if left on the ventilation setting I just removed part of the seal from our unvented model so that I can leave it closed.

Remember permanent ventilation is there to stop your van turning to a mildewy mush.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Have a look at a marine skylight catalogue, they are very similar to Camper ones but much stronger and will not blow off at high speeds.
    I know a guy who converted a van and fitted two of them, cheaper than camper versions and much stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Have a look at a marine skylight catalogue, they are very similar to Camper ones but much stronger and will not blow off at high speeds.
    I know a guy who converted a van and fitted two of them, cheaper than camper versions and much stronger.

They're not insulated so you get condensation on them, they don't come with a blind/flyscreen and you can't leave them open when its raining as they have little or no overhang and I've never seen one cheaper at the 40cm size maybe at the large sizes they might be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Installed the mini heki from Deometic Seitz. Job went well, delighted with the new light! Thanks for the tips.

Advertisement