Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home security system - opinions?

Options
  • 04-05-2016 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi
    I am getting a 4 camera CCTV system installed in my house and after much research, I have narrowed it down to two options - an IP system or a TVi system (HD analogue). I'm looking at 2MP cameras in both cases so image resolution shouldn't be too different. I'm assuming this resolution will pick up number plates from 20-30m as I get a lot of dodgy people driving in an around and just parking for no apparent reason! While the TVi system appears to have some advantages over the IP system (cheaper by about 40%, more stable, better night vision, no latency, no bandwidth usage etc.), IP seems to be the way forward and may be the better option as it is the latest technology and will be the future of CCTV systems so will facilitate easier upgrading in the long run. I wouldn't use pure wireless and it would be connected to the broadband router. However I have some concerns with IP that perhaps someone in the know or who has a similar system can comment? Equally opinions on TVi system would be good too.
    My queries on IP are;
    1. Is it a secure system (i.e. can it be hacked, viruses etc.)?
    2. Are software licenses required which need to be updated and if so are there any associated fees?
    3. Will it effect normal internet usage (i.e bandwidth) and if so by much? (think I run off 100MBps)?
    4. If the network goes down do the cameras keep recording to the NVR (they will be connected with a cable)?
    5. Is latency a big issue for watching live video (i.e real time viewing) and what sort of delays could I expect?
    6. Are they stable in terms of signal relay (i.e can they be affected by interference of my sort)?
    7. Is the software compatible with Windows?
    8. How good is the night vision on IP cameras?
    9. I'm also not too 'techy' (Iphones are too techy for me) so would ongoing maintenance be a nightmare?

cheers
    M

Advertisement