Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which bloody one? And why?

Options
  • 03-05-2016 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I am second year ati student and recently got a job in a practice (haven't started yet) doing payroll

However I am looking to continue studying after ati course (fingers cross I pass)

And I'm looking at all the options

Initially cima and management accounting seemed naturally appealing to me but with this new position I may have to look at cpa , Aca or Acca

What is the main differences?
    I'm looking at it and see I am exempt from 7/8 subjects in first 2 years of cpa which is great but I'd be looking at another 2 years of study I think to qualify in cpa

What is your opinion and experience?
    Any help would be great

Comments

What classes are available locally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

all of them are really.
    I am based in Cork City and there is approved colleges for each

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

wally1990 wrote: »
    Hi all
    I am second year ati student and recently got a job in a practice (haven't started yet) doing payroll

However I am looking to continue studying after ati course (fingers cross I pass)

And I'm looking at all the options

Initially cima and management accounting seemed naturally appealing to me but with this new position I may have to look at cpa , Aca or Acca

What is the main differences?
    I'm looking at it and see I am exempt from 7/8 subjects in first 2 years of cpa which is great but I'd be looking at another 2 years of study I think to qualify in cpa

What is your opinion and experience?
    Any help would be great

You have two different types of Accountancy certifications in your message:

CIMA that is Management Accounting
    and the other 3 that are more "traditional" accountancy ACA, ACCA and CPA

By what I know CIMA is more restrictive from the job point of view. Management Accountants work into big companies and usually manufacturing industries there are less jobs but on average better paid than Financial Accountants at the same level. You won't be doing taxes (from a Taxation point of view only considering how it affects the process, profits, etc.) and Financial Accounting is definitely not their main interest though I assume they will do some of it at least. There is dedicated CIMA thread in the forum you might want to go there and ask about the certification.

The other three are the "traditional" accounting. They all have the opportunity of doing Management Accounting as a Specialty before you finish so you could do that.

ACA is the oldest body, and I think because of that considered the best. They were considered more difficult but if you have enough time either with study leave or holidays to study the difficulty level averages the same as the others. From the point of view of the syllabus is pretty much the same for all three. Firms might be a bit biased in favour of ACA because a lot of people from that body are working in firms, but nowadays they no longer care what they want is someone with the best results regardless of body. Industry I don't think has ever cared: they want the best possible candidate.

Basically in order to choose one of the three I would consider:

* exemptions (from ATI you are better with ACA and CPA),
    * the cost (CPA are the cheapest),
    * the amount of time you will be have to study the last year (if very little or not willing to use holidays CPA or ACCA would be better) and
    * if you are into being in a geeky body I would go for CPA as they are in my opinion the geekiest (I felt like I was betraying all the geeks in the world when I chose ACA over CPA).
    * In your case you seem to have classes available for all three, but if you had to choose between online and classes CPA seem to also have very good online programs although ACA seem to be catching up fast. I have no idea about ACCA to be honest

Go to the CIMA thread, go to the websites for each body, consider where you want to work when you finish and all the above. It's a very personal decision.

Best of luck with your exams and everything else

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hi all

Practices often consider payroll as low margin work for someone starting off who will then advance into other work. If so it may be worth discussing it with the seniors and management in the practice.

tanit wrote: »
    You have two different types of Accountancy certifications in your message:

CIMA that is Management Accounting
    and the other 3 that are more "traditional" accountancy ACA, ACCA and CPA

By what I know CIMA is more restrictive from the job point of view. Management Accountants work into big companies and usually manufacturing industries there are less jobs but on average better paid than Financial Accountants at the same level. You won't be doing taxes (from a Taxation point of view only considering how it affects the process, profits, etc.) and Financial Accounting is definitely not their main interest though I assume they will do some of it at least. There is dedicated CIMA thread in the forum you might want to go there and ask about the certification.

The other three are the "traditional" accounting. They all have the opportunity of doing Management Accounting as a Specialty before you finish so you could do that.

ACA is the oldest body, and I think because of that considered the best. They were considered more difficult but if you have enough time either with study leave or holidays to study the difficulty level averages the same as the others. From the point of view of the syllabus is pretty much the same for all three. Firms might be a bit biased in favour of ACA because a lot of people from that body are working in firms, but nowadays they no longer care what they want is someone with the best results regardless of body. Industry I don't think has ever cared: they want the best possible candidate.

Basically in order to choose one of the three I would consider:

* exemptions (from ATI you are better with ACA and CPA),
    * the cost (CPA are the cheapest),
    * the amount of time you will be have to study the last year (if very little or not willing to use holidays CPA or ACCA would be better) and
    * if you are into being in a geeky body I would go for CPA as they are in my opinion the geekiest (I felt like I was betraying all the geeks in the world when I chose ACA over CPA).
    * In your case you seem to have classes available for all three, but if you had to choose between online and classes CPA seem to also have very good online programs although ACA seem to be catching up fast. I have no idea about ACCA to be honest

Go to the CIMA thread, go to the websites for each body, consider where you want to work when you finish and all the above. It's a very personal decision.

Best of luck with your exams and everything else

Thanks.the above was excellent and a great insight. thank you for the time and effort put in. I will speak with my work and see will CPA be a suitable option for them and myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

Thanks.the above was excellent and a great insight. thank you for the time and effort put in. I will speak with my work and see will CPA be a suitable option for them and myself.

Don't do this. They should be a last resort not a first choice, they are not as well received by employers as the other bodies.

Why wouldn't they be well received ? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mizzen

hey wally1990 congratulations on the job!

and thank you tanit for very clear info: first time I see it spelled out like that: cpa the geekiest and cheapest. any other accounting geeks can confirm this?

my plan is to change career from science into accounting.... I think i'll take the plunge and sign up for cpa (but I have been thinking of doing ati first to ease back into study....)

How are you finding ati ? are you doing it online or through a college? would you recommend it?

Advertisement