Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who does upgrades to Pontiac V8 engines?

Options
  • 03-05-2016 10:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭

I just bought a Trans Am and I want to increase the horsepower from the factory standard that it currently has. Does anyone know who would be able to do this for me?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

Hi there,

I don't know anyone in specific, but you might want to get in touch with for example Midland American Auto Club (http://www.maac-ireland.com/), they would no doubt be able to help you out.

Out of curiosity, what year Trans Am did you buy? Would it by any chance be with either the 350 or 400 cid engine?

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

www.realsteel.co.uk will do engine parts for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Caddyman, did you ever stop to think that you come on looking for help for a fine machine, yet you post no pics for us to get a horn on. :pac:
    Cmon man, give us something to look at. :)

Good luck with it btw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Caddyman

Lellostag wrote: »
    Hi there,

I don't know anyone in specific, but you might want to get in touch with for example Midland American Auto Club (http://www.maac-ireland.com/), they would no doubt be able to help you out.

Out of curiosity, what year Trans Am did you buy? Would it by any chance be with either the 350 or 400 cid engine?

Good luck!

That's a good idea! They helped me with importing info etc already. Hadn't thought to ask them!

Caddyman wrote: »
    That's a good idea! They helped me with importing info etc already. Hadn't thought to ask them!

It's a 400 Pontiac motor btw!

• Advertisement

shagman wrote: »
    www.realsteel.co.uk will do engine parts for it

Thanks for that info shagman!
    I'll keep that in mind as shipping from the States kills the cheaper prices.

kupus wrote: »
    Caddyman, did you ever stop to think that you come on looking for help for a fine machine, yet you post no pics for us to get a horn on. :pac:

Good luck with it btw

Thanks for the reminder kupus! I should have posted a photo already, my bad.
    I'm on my phone right now but will post some later when I get home. Stand by :)

Good luck with it btw

As I won't be home for a while how about a video?
    The guy I bought it from sent me this video just before I rang him to do a deal. He is Rick Deiters of Trans Am Specialities in Miami.
    I hope you like it and I hope it looks half as good in the flesh when I finally pick it up next month.

http://youtu.be/p6Rs4g_fteQ

I'm home and in front of my laptop so here's those photos I promised;

1031%20b%20(1).jpg

1031%20b%20(2).jpg

1031%20b%20(5).jpg

1031%20(8).jpg

1031%20(24).jpg

1031%20(37).jpg

1031%20(28).jpg

1031%20(43).jpg

1031%20(45).jpg

1031%20(57).jpg

I hope I didn't overdo it with the photos but I kinda wanted to give you an idea of the condition of the car. Its a two owner car with a verified 54,000 miles and still in it's original paint and with it's original interior too. It's also an all numbers matching car.

I hope you like her :)

Caddyman

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's in great condition. Best of luck with it.

My brother had a black one in the USA and I drove it in the early 80's. It was pretty raw, uncomfortable, and whilst it made a great noise it wasn't that quick. It was a V8 too.
    I think emmissions had taken a major toll on performance by that point.

• Advertisement

It's in great condition. Best of luck with it.

My brother had a black one in the USA and I drove it in the early 80's. It was pretty raw, uncomfortable, and whilst it made a great noise it wasn't that quick. It was a V8 too.
    I think emmissions had taken a major toll on performance by that point.

Thanks Henry Ford lll
    Emissions killed the muscle cars from about 1975 onwards so that's why I want to boost the HP on this one when it arrives. From what I read it won't be hard to get it to 400-450 bhp but I need someone to do the work that knows what they're at as my skills run out after cleaning and polishing cars!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Looks good candy an, hope you find a good mechanic that knows these engines. the midland club seems to be decent, they had a show a few weeks ago in kilbeggan I think. At least you know there is a few usa muscle enthusiasts around.

Best of luck with it.

There is a guy in the General Motors thread that likes USA mobiles and has a gmc or a Chevy truck, I think it's Colm. Maybe someone else can point you in the right direction name wise and you can ask him his experiences.

Looks good candy an, hope you find a good mechanic that knows these engines. the midland club seems to be decent, they had a show a few weeks ago in kilbeggan I think. At least you know there is a few usa muscle enthusiasts around.

Best of luck with it.

There is a guy in the General Motors thread that likes USA mobiles and has a gmc or a Chevy truck, I think it's Colm. Maybe someone else can point you in the right direction name wise and you can ask him his experiences.

Thanks kupus!

Yeah I've been at those shows in Kilbeggan several times even though its a good spin from me. They have a club meeting every week at the clubhouse they have there but its too far for me but you're right I will call them and see if they can recommend someone to give this BIRD some 'up and go' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

Congratulations on your purchase.

That is a beautiful original car. Totally correct looking.

Obviously it depends on what you are looking for but I would find it difficult to pull the engine out of such an original low mileage car to uprate the BHP.

You might find after driving it when it lands that the performance is sufficient for your needs!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

That's a great looking 'bird, best of luck with it!

Drive it for awhile before you start spending money on boosting power, you might find it's sufficient as it is, or maybe there is something more urgent that needs doing first...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Fantastic car, well you may wear!

I'll echo the advice to leave her stock for a while before breaking out the spanners.

Also, you'll need to go shopping:
    http://www.stetson.com/hats/western-hats
    http://www.amazon.com/stick-costume-reynolds-bandit-mustache/dp/b002boorca/?tag=movipersonal-20

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭steder

Best of luck the car looks great :)

Here is a link to AMCI some of the lads here might be able to offer advise as well.
    https://www.facebook.com/American-Muscle-Cars-Ireland-256118987742564/?fref=ts

Congratulations on your purchase.

That is a beautiful original car. Totally correct looking.

Obviously it depends on what you are looking for but I would find it difficult to pull the engine out of such an original low mileage car to uprate the BHP.

You might find after driving it when it lands that the performance is sufficient for your needs!

You might be right Kevin! It comes with the optional factory fitted 2.73:1 axle so it's set up to make the most of the torque that the Pontiac 400 engine is supposedly famous for and which combines quickish off the line acceleration with low rpms at motorway speeds. We shall see as they say :)

Lellostag wrote: »
    That's a great looking 'bird, best of luck with it!

Drive it for awhile before you start spending money on boosting power, you might find it's sufficient as it is, or maybe there is something more urgent that needs doing first...

Thanks for the advice and hopefully there won't be anything else that needs doing....:p

Melodeon wrote: »
    Fantastic car, well you may wear!

I'll echo the advice to leave her stock for a while before breaking out the spanners.

Also, you'll need to go shopping:
    http://www.stetson.com/hats/western-hats
    http://www.amazon.com/stick-costume-reynolds-bandit-mustache/dp/b002boorca/?tag=movipersonal-20

Looks like that advice is the way to go alright!
    Stetson and moustache on their way to me now....:pac::pac:

• Advertisement

steder wrote: »
    Best of luck the car looks great :)

Here is a link to AMCI some of the lads here might be able to offer advise as well.
    https://www.facebook.com/American-Muscle-Cars-Ireland-256118987742564/?fref=ts

Thanks for the link steder, I'll give them a shout and see who and what they know about the Pontiac 400ci ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Wow, that's stunning! Where are you? I'd love to see it in person!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Lovely car. Its a heavy car with either a turbo 350 or 400 gearbox. It has a low compression engine and would probably need a rebuild with new Pistons, new hi flow heads.4bbl intake and carb to suit. Get a high stall converter and a trans go shift kit and you are on your way. If it was me I'd get a 455 engine, build that and swap out engine. Too many lads havecut and butchered these cars which are becoming very valuable. Getting harder to get a clean one now. Good luck....be sure to get it undercoated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Forgot to add if you research some older us muscle car mags they often list performance numbers and even parts numbers for parts and how to guides. That way it's tried and tested

Wow, that's stunning! Where are you? I'd love to see it in person!

I live in the North East but if you're at the Terenure show this Sunday you'll be able to see it in person :)

Lovely car. Its a heavy car with either a turbo 350 or 400 gearbox. It has a low compression engine and would probably need a rebuild with new Pistons, new hi flow heads.4bbl intake and carb to suit. Get a high stall converter and a trans go shift kit and you are on your way. If it was me I'd get a 455 engine, build that and swap out engine. Too many lads havecut and butchered these cars which are becoming very valuable. Getting harder to get a clean one now. Good luck....be sure to get it undercoated

Sounds like you know your stuff jetfiremuck! I only got it home on Monday evening and having put 500+ miles on her driving from Southampton to Goodwood and then a few trips around London and then Holyhead I think I might be happy enough to leave it stock for a few months then consider getting it done over the winter. Putting a 455 into it and not doing anything to the original engine (only putting it back into the car f I was selling it) was something I was thinking about already so brilliant minds do in fact think alike :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Cracking looking machine, full of character. Nice get :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Saw this car yesterday at Terenure and it is simply stunning. We spent quite a while looking at it. My friend is a US car guy, I mean he is from the US and is a car guy. He really enjoyed seeing it as it brought back memories of driving one back in the late 70's early 80's.

Gorgeous car & good luck with it.

MercMad wrote: »
    Saw this car yesterday at Terenure and it is simply stunning. We spent quite a while looking at it. My friend is a US car guy, I mean he is from the US and is a car guy. He really enjoyed seeing it as it brought back memories of driving one back in the late 70's early 80's.

Gorgeous car & good luck with it.

Thanks MercMad for that kind endorsement of my recent purchase (unseen!) :)
    It did seem to go down well with the public yesterday!

13533145_1192999907388278_8155675955428572145_n.jpg?oh=4132bd898e3fb5c052046886a6e85852&oe=582FA618

13529261_1193004537387815_9101737546401221643_n.jpg?oh=e114f317eb9f66b838d7e68c86df0be5&oe=57EB7382
    13590286_1193004540721148_5466598793350780347_n.jpg?oh=2624aab808a2c1c1c30b626335b00134&oe=57F32C21

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    Cracking looking machine, full of character. Nice get :)

Thanks for that Myrddin :)

Advertisement