Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photoshop Tutor

Options
  • 03-05-2016 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I hope I'm in the right place here. Would anyone know a Photoshop tutor or student willing to give lessons. I am willing to pay an hourly rate for same. I just got CS7 but can only do some basic stuff for now ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

fizzoo12 wrote: »
    I hope I'm in the right place here. Would anyone know a Photoshop tutor or student willing to give lessons. I am willing to pay an hourly rate for same. I just got CS7 but can only do some basic stuff for now ??

Try Morganti on youtube for photoshop and lightroom tutorials. The fun is in teaching & learning for yourself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The problem with Photoshop is that it can be used in many different ways. Many here use it but I am sure that the way I use it is completely different to others.

It is a bit like saying I have a kitchen can someone teach me to cook. Sure, the very basics are the same but then you need to specify what sort of cuisine you want to learn. Baking bread will be a different skill set than making sushi.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd agree with CabanSail, some people use photoshop for photo editing, some people use photoshop for creating original content, some people use photoshop for promotional material like flyers.

A course can be good for teaching the basics. What the tools do, how layers work and so on, but after that it's a case of using techniques, combining the tools to do what you want. So really to learn photoshop properly it's going to take time to gather the techniques you want, it's very helpful if you are interested in learning random techniques too, something that works in scratch made content can be helpful when editing photos and so on. As it's learning techniques, that can be hard to do on a one to one basis for a reasonable price.

I still think books are the most convenient way of learning, you can go at your own pace, have the reference in front of you and don't have to keep stopping and starting videos.

But seeing as this is in the photography forum I assume you're just looking for photo specific information. I got a photoshop book specifically for photography "Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers" It covers absolutly everything from considerations when taking the photo, to geting it onto the PC, colour correcting in depth. It's pretty comprehensive.

But on top of that book I buy other specific books like compositing techniques, or just buying photoshop magazines (some do almanacs at the end of the year with just projects), they can be hit and miss in that they repeat techniques after a while. So it's an ongoing learning process that never really stops. Once you get to a certain level you can pretty much type what you want to do into youtube and someone will walk you through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 fizzoo12

Thanks guys for all your wise advice. I only need to retouch photos and learn to use layers and masks really ...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 fizzoo12

@Scumlord, is that the name of the book 'Adobe Photoshop cs5 for photographers' ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I believe the Institute of Photography in Dublin do courses - Dave is an excellent teachers , and comes well recommended here , everyone have different styles of learning , but if you want to learn in classroom - the institute would be a good choice:-

http://www.iop.ie/courses/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Thanks guys for all your wise advice. I only need to retouch photos and learn to use layers and masks really ...

Grasshopper - You know not what you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

@Scumlord, is that the name of the book 'Adobe Photoshop cs5 for photographers' ?
    Yeah, I assume they updated it for the newer versions of photoshop. There is a link there to the amazon page.

Avoid beginners books, they can be simple and will usually cover only the very basics, which really leaves you not much better informed than when you started.

Advertisement