Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused Susi

Options
  • 03-05-2016 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

I was refused the Susi Grant last week on the grounds of means. I have applied for a Level 8 course in an IT. I am 28, have been on social welfare just over a year receiving €188 euro a week. Living at home with my Parents as I cannot afford to live out of home. Susi classified me as a dependent mature student because of living at home.

The cut off point for the grant is just over €54000 a year, In total my parents and I earned just over €58000 last year (Gross). So I was refused the grant and will be refused it every year for the next four years it seems unless the cut off point changes.

I have appealed this week on the grounds that my parents will not pay for me going to college as I am 28, I pay them rent to stay in the house and that I cannot afford to move out at the moment. I come from a pretty disadvantaged area and would have went to a disadvantaged school. Both parents work but they have there own loans and I also have a small personal loan. My siblings are not living at home anymore so I am the only other person in the household.

I have been for an interview for the IT to which they are confident that I will get the course I wanted. But if I do not get the Susi Grant I will not be able to go to College.

Has anyone had experience with this? How lenient is the appeals process? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

If you are on Jobseekers for over 9mths you'd be eligible for BTEA. This pays the same rate as your current payment - so 188 per week - and works out as more than the grant. Then in the summer months you sign back on for JSA and then back onto BTEA the following year. You still apply to SUSI for the free fees portion - which you are entitled to and isn't means tested - but the BTEA covers your day to day expenses. Might be worth looking into?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Hi i was deemed ineligible for the grant also. But i had meant to apply for the fees paid as i will be on btea. But couldnt seem to find the option on the website and applied for the full grant instead. Is there a differnt application you fill out, or is it to early to apply for it yet?

Advertisement