Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devil's Advocate

Options
  • 03-05-2016 1:30pm

I used to do it a lot more.. Sometimes invited and sometimes, I'd only let people know after. Business plans etc. Every single plan needs someone to sit there and say "No. Because.."

I enjoy it. I even got a reputation for it where a particular business savvy guy specifically asks me for beers to play it...
    Recently though, not so much overall. Anyone else do it? Anyone else relish the chance to cut through a plan and see the improvement? Or do you ask for it yourself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Devil's Afvocate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

No.Because I've better things to be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Devil's Avocado?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I used to do it a lot more.. Sometimes invited and sometimes, I'd only let people know after. Business plans etc. Every single plan needs someone to sit there and say "No. Because.."

I enjoy it. I even got a reputation for it where a particular business savvy guy specifically asks me for beers to play it...
    Recently though, not so much overall. Anyone else do it? Anyone else relish the chance to cut through a plan and see the improvement? Or do you ask for it yourself?

It is a handy role, I think. But modern society is caustic to opposing views.

#safespace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I play Devil's Advocaat sometimes, it makes me tipsy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Playing devil's advocate is a stupid thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Let me play Devil's Advocate for a second...

Business savvy guy just wanted to laugh at you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

When it's asked for or when the person playing devils advocate makes it known that's the role they're playing, it can be very useful - when it's done without others being informed though, it comes across just as shít-stirring/trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The movie was ok, I guess.

Advertisement