Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give them detached hosue on 1 acre sites

Options
  • 03-05-2016 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/council-confirms-dwelling-move-at-site-of-carrickmines-blaze-1.2632609

ah bless, travellers are unhappy because they have to live "normally" within a metre or two between each free dwelling paid for by the taxpayer.

Sure they should be ENTITLED to detached single story hosues on large one acre sites,. the same way that they seem entitled to rob houses, shoplift, take copper wire and slate adn scam people for tarmac and gutters.

Last week a traveller was complaining on radio about being victimised saying that he was never involved in crime - but "just did a little shoplifting". Seems shoplifting is not considered a crime in traveller speak.

I really wish some politicians would stop the pc sh1te around the criminal* ridden traveller community and tell them to take an effin hike once and for all.

The words I would describe them would not be allowed on a forum.

*0.45% of the population are travellers
    8.7% of male prisoners are travellers
    22% of female prisoners are travellers

Comments

VincePP wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/council-confirms-dwelling-move-at-site-of-carrickmines-blaze-1.2632609

ah bless, travellers are unhappy because they have to live "normally" within a metre or two between each free dwelling paid for by the taxpayer.

Possibly unhappy because, you know, 10 died in a horrific tragedy. 5 were children.

What was that about some unrelated story involving shoplifting? God, that's horrific. It must have been hard for you to even listen to it. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"Relatives of the people who died say they were placed dangerously close together."

Given I live in a block of flats, it must be a ****ing deathtrap in that case. Wonder with the council sort me out with a nice semi d?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Vs 92% of male prisoners been non travellers
    Vs 79% of female prisoners been non travellers.

Shocking to think anyone would bemoan people wanting to be safe in there home temporary or otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Sure they should be ENTITLED to detached single story hosues on large one acre sites

If they got this, the houses would be dormant and they'd live in a caravan in the garden anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

"Relatives of the people who died say they were placed dangerously close together."

Given I live in a block of flats, it must be a ****ing deathtrap in that case. Wonder with the council sort me out with a nice semi d?

Wouldn't fire regulations differ between flats and caravans/mobile homes though? Any house I rented as a flat, terraced, or part of a multi unit group has had fire alarms, carbon monoxide alarms, fire doors, and all that jazz.

I've seen when travellers set fire to a caravan if they follow the old tradition after a death and they are very easy to set alight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

They should be housed as any other family would be housed, not bumped up a list or given special concessions due to their 'ethnicity'.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Houses being so close, less than a metre, is indeed a fire hazard.
    So yeah, the travellers are right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Sure they should be ENTITLED to detached single story hosues on large one acre sites,. the same way that they seem entitled to rob houses, shoplift, take copper wire and slate adn scam people for tarmac and gutters.

Last week a traveller was complaining on radio about being victimised saying that he was never involved in crime - but "just did a little shoplifting". Seems shoplifting is not considered a crime in traveller speak.

I really wish some politicians would stop the pc sh1te around the criminal* ridden traveller community and tell them to take an effin hike once and for all.

The words I would describe them would not be allowed on a forum.

So real story (or translate hate speak) surviving family of a terrible fire where 10 people including children died, are seriously worried about current accommodation as it is close together. (I assume on of the things that lead to the tragic loss of life was living in close proximity)

Add in story from the radio that a traveler does not think shoplifting is a crime.

I know loads of people who think they have never committed a crime even though they have a court conviction funny that.

It's also funny that you quote stats to back up your hate, the vast majority of prisoners in the Joy are from 2 postal districts in Dublin, we'll all that proves is we in our society criminalise poverty.

0.0000006% of the Irish Population are on boards
    99.99% of board posters are as mad as frogs.*
    *The above figures may be made up, the above figures may say nothing about the topic. The above figures prove nothing at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm not entirely sure you understood the article you linked, OP.

The article was about the travellers wondering if the fact that previous to the fire that destroyed their caravans the council had asked them to move them much closer to each other could have been a contributing factor to the speed and ferocity of the fire.

That's not really such an outlandish thought, is it?

And I wasn't aware that travellers can get caravans for free from the government, as you seem to be implying?

biko wrote: »

Ah but some story about some shoplifting on some radio station something something trumps dead traveller children any time.

In fairness, I think the OP was also outraged by guttering jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

biko wrote: »

But I grew up in a terraced house with no gap between houses....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,620 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ah a good old Traveller bashing thread, sure we can never have enough of these :rolleyes:

Well done to the OP for tarring all 40,000 travellers with the same brush. Thats one massive brush he's got there. 'Sure aren't they all the same'

eviltwin wrote: »
    They should be housed as any other family would be housed, not bumped up a list or given special concessions due to their 'ethnicity'.

So you think say two families who have lost their homes and a number of members of the family, should be put to the bottom of the list for council housing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

The council moved the caravans closer together on the site ?

Well that clears it up so, time for them to stop asking questions about the circumstances in which 10 people died.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

OP, Have you actually read the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

So you think say two families who have lost their homes and a number of members of the family, should be put to the bottom of the list for council housing.

They should get exactly the same treatment that any other family in the same situation would get.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You also grew up with no knowledge of the difference in fire hazards between terraced houses and caravans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Gatling wrote: »

Shocking to think anyone would bemoan people wanting to be safe in there home temporary or otherwise

From a larger section of society than 40 odd k yes ?

eviltwin wrote: »
    They should get exactly the same treatment that any other family in the same situation would get.

Yes which would be put to the very top of the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Houses tend to be significantly less flammable than caravans.

I fail to see where the outrage is coming from in the OP (well, I don't, I know exactly where it's coming from, but I can't see how it's justified). As part of the process of looking into the circumstances surrounding this tragedy, it's emerged that the sites were closer together than would be allowed in a permanent halting site. Possibly closer than would be considered safe, although that's not explicitly said in the article.

I'm sure the coroner's investigation will reveal more about this, and hopefully make recommendations that help ensure nothing like this ever happens again. I doubt highly those recommendations will include building detached houses on 1 acre plots, but there's nothing like a bit of hyperbole, eh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Gatling wrote: »

Well in fairness, seeing as they make up less then half of 1% of the population they make up 30% of the prison population which is a bit alarming.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Did we ever find out how the fire started?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

HensVassal wrote: »
    Well in fairness, seeing as they make up less then half of 1% of the population they make up 30% of the prison population which is a bit alarming.

And has absolutely no bearing on how halting sites should be made fire-safe. None whatsoever.

HensVassal wrote: »

The majority of the prison population have never say a state exam,

http://www.iprt.ie/prison-facts-2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I....don't even.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement