Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A tattoo apprenticeship in Ireland

Options
  • 03-05-2016 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi y'all,

I'm looking for some information if anyone knows anything about this, because I couldn't dig anything up online. I'm looking to get a tattoo apprenticeship, I'm just working on adding a bit more to my portfolio of art. I've done some research, I don't expect to be paid, but also know that if the artist wants me to pay, that shouldn't happen. So like I expect an apprenticeship be somewhere around 2 year? A bit more? That's all good. I'm really and genuinely only working towards becoming a tattoo artist, that's the end game, that's the dream.
    What I'm kinda concerned about is, if I earn nothing as a tattoo apprentice, hypothetically, is there any way to get any kind of allowance during that period? Surely, it's kind of impossible to tell someone who's working towards becoming a professional, and learning all these skills, that they have to survive on nothing for like 2+ years, before they're allowed to tattoo people and charge for it? Can I get jobseeker's allowance if I'm not actually looking for work but am already an apprentice?
    I looked up apprenticeship allowances, and tattoo apprenticeships don't seem to count? What do I do, where do I go, who do I talk to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Sounds like you're going about it the right way, and have done research already, so keep going the way you are!

I think most people that do tattoo apprenticeships get evening/part time work to keep them going. (Or have managed to save up enough to get themselves through that period). Would do no harm to go and talk to some other tattoo artists, ask them about what they did to get through that time, maybe get friendly with some (which could help when it comes to getting the apprenticeship)

Advertisement