Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Success Story

Options
  • 02-05-2016 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

Ok. So maybe you made the wrong decision when you were fifteen or sixteen. Left school or had maybe no choice but to go to work. Then your natural talent came through and you succeeded. Your hard work and insight paid off. Where are you now and where did you come from?
    Me? Left school at 16 then/ Apprentice/Student/Teacher/Postgraduate/Consultant/Academic/..

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Moved from work and jobs, new charter applies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

My greatest success is learning how to tie my shoe laces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I'm still here with all digets, limbs intact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I've been fired 4 times and I now earn 6 figures
    Was fired every time for taking shortcuts at work but eventually I proved myself right. My secret is that I had to believe that it was all a process or I'd be just some clown that got fired 4 times so I had the motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I'm still here with all digets, limbs intact.

Maybe get a dictionary or a spell check though :P

Mine is that I got out of a bad situation.
    I still need to deal with the effects it had on me, but I am out so that is half the battle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

failinis wrote: »
    Maybe get a dictionary or a spell check though :P

Mine is that I got out of a bad situation.
    I still need to deal with the effects it had on me, but I am out so that is half the battle.

I got here without spellchack and I'll die without spellchack:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'll tell mine.
    Before the crash I was an idiot with a credit card and a loan for a car.
    I was charging my crap to the credit card and topping up the loan when things would slow down.
    To be fair they were throwing the money at me.
    I had absolutely no sense with it.
    Then the crash hit and I lost my job and with it my ability to pay off my near 8k debt of credit card bills, overdraft fees and the loan.
    I panicked and panicked hard.
    Letters started to arrive and I really thought id have to declare bankruptcy.
    I signed on and every week swiped my security card to get 350e per week. I felt like ****.
    My welfare payments were going back to the bank.
    I was stressed every day and couldn't see the end.
    4 years later I suddenly got a job offer which wasn't great but id finally get something to do apart from silly here and there jobs.
    Slowly built myself up and then gradually moved onto another job where I had a team under me.
    I now have a wife, a baby girl, two cars, two holidays per year and a mortgage.
    Its the quick version of my story but its my success story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Success has many forms.

I think being a success is having a purpose in life & trying to achieve it.

IT'S not nesseceraly about careers or jobs.

Just to have (achievable) goals & to try to work towards them & be happy in the process.

In my book, there's success right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

My careers guidance teacher (:rolleyes:) reckoned I'd be a no good bum who'd never amount to anything.

Yet here I am today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭corner of hells

There was lad we just pal around with a few years ago , happily gay , his introduction line when out and about was " hi Im Cess , would you would you like to suck Cess ? " .

Gas character , never forgot his sense of humour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I was an unemployed beautician in Dublin. So I packed up and left, and now I'm one of the head waxers in one of the highest rated salons in Toronto. I have my own place, pay my own bills, and life is better than ever!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I was an unemployed beautician in Dublin. So I packed up and left, and now I'm one of the head waxers in one of the highest rated salons in Toronto. I have my own place, pay my own bills, and life is better than ever!

People wax their heads? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Shenshen wrote: »
    People wax their heads? :eek:

It's a slippery slope. Ear wax is like a gateway drug, then before you know it you've gone the full Telly Savalas. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

That's got to be a euphemism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I've the smallest dick in Ireland and still managed to get a woman.

Once.

But I had to pay.

It's still success though, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I've the smallest dick in Ireland and still managed to get a woman.

Once.

But I had to pay.

It's still success though, isn't it?

Every hole's a goal and whatnot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

A head waxer?! I suppose it's better than waxing people's private bits...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Went into a BSc Science honours degree and immediately got taken out by illness. Quite a long, unpleasant one at that. Missed a good chunk of my first year, scraped a pass. Worked like hell and the next year got a 2b, then a 2a in 3rd year and completed the degree with a First. It was a long, hard slog and it didn't do much for my long-term health (I went on to a masters and immediately got swine flu which knocked me down again, but after a year out, I completed it).

..Huh, it's kinda nice to have a thread where we can say things we're proud of doing! Hurrah for everyone in here! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

That's got to be a euphemism.

Head waxer as in waxer in charge! Jayziz....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Head waxer as in waxer in charge! Jayziz....

Well that's definitely a success story. I thought in the world of waxing you started off waxing between toes, and as you moved your way up the metaphorical ladder, you moved up the body literally, with the best and brightest only getting the chance to wax those sweet, sweet heads.

• Advertisement

I battled many many demons and completely turned my life around. There's a thread on boards where people share their experiences of depression and other mental health difficulties.
    I know those dark places like the back of my hand.

My success is not so much the hard decisions I made, having the career I always wanted, my own little car. It's that I battled and fought and I won. When I came out the other side I was left with a strong and unwavering inner core and a deep compassion for other people.

That's what I think of when I think of the word 'success'.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Escaped a fairly rough home at 15, stayed in school and even though some teachers literally told me "kids like you don't aim for university" I knew I was born to be a scientist. A lecturer in physics, inventor of the smoke alarm and founder of young scientist called Tony Scott (not the director) said he seen something in me and in encouraged me to go on to do a degree and in his spare time taught me physics.

I Put myself through college working two jobs and paying most of my money in rent, became homeless for a few non consecutive weeks but made it through to get my degree in biochemistry.

A scientist I did my fourth year project with took me on for a PhD and with him I published enough to ensure I was employable. He was actually like a father figure to me and gave me some fantastic life advice. He gave me confidence in life and helped me obtain the life I wanted.

As a result of the great opportunity I had to meet these people I'm now I research scientist for the American government with time split between here and the UK.

Always believe in yourself and go for what you want in life. Part of what I do now involves going around disadvantaged schools in UK telling them that they can be whatever they want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I left college with no interest in pursuing a career in what I'd studied. I was stuck in a completely dead end job when the recession hit, absolutely miserable and earning feck all.

I found computer programming quite interesting so I bought a few books on software development and spent evenings learning how to do it for a couple of years. Then someone gave me a job as a software developer and now I earn a decent salary doing that. So that was a success.

Now I spend that time in the evening learning how to make video games, with the goal being to one day make money for myself and be my own boss doing that. If I have the same level of success this time around, I'll be a happy man.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

My wife is waaaayyyy out of my league.

Advertisement