Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earliest Memory

Options
  • 02-05-2016 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

Can you remember back to being a toddler/baby?

My earliest memory is of standing in my cot and crying to be picked up! I remember the colour of my walls, a pine coloured cot and the teddy bear I had in with me. I remember (after what seemed like hours) my dad coming in to pick me up then.

Some people say there's no way you can remember back that far, but I had to have been less than 2 (prob around 18 months) as my mother told me I was in a bed and a totally different bedroom from 2 onwards!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I remember when a half pint of lager was 40p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Getting flattened by a sheep on the farm when I was around 3 for picking up its lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Can remember my 1st birthday party, blowing out the candle, OP.

Guess I beat you.

I remember my Dad appearing after being away a long time, and being familiar with him, but afraid it wasn't him at the same time.

My mum says he was working away for three months when I was about one and a half to two, so I think this is probably that event.

My goddaughter remembers being born.

My earliest memories are from the age of 3 years. I remember play school and struggling with being there. Then I remember looking out the window with my mam when the girl across the street went to school. Mammy told me that would be me soon.

One day she brought me to the school as a little introduction before I began. My dress was pink with white lace. I remember a teacher telling me how pretty I looked and asking me to twirl.

Good memories :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I remember goin to the Isle of Man as a toddler. I also remember my first run in with electricity, would have been about 3 at the time, can't remember which came first.
    Also remember an incident with my neighbour that I can't go into on here, think I was about 2 then.

Strange what sticks in the mind over 30 odd years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Sitting in the back seat of my grandad's Datsun 120Y, at the age of around two-and-a-half, looking at the road through a small hole in the floor. They don't make them like they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Candie wrote: »
    I remember my Dad appearing after being away a long time, and being familiar with him, but afraid it wasn't him at the same time.

My mum says he was working away for three months when I was about one and a half to two, so I think this is probably that event.

Mad, I had the same experience. Dad was away working for 3 months when I was just gone 2 and I hid behind the couch when he came home and wouldn't talk to him for a while :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Waking up in a cot that wasn't mine, screaming from the pain in my throat. A nurse came in and gave me a drink.

I'd had my adenoids removed. This was before I was 2.,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I have a very vague recollection of going to bed for the first time without a nappy, I was so happy with myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

My first memory is cutting the grass in my Grandads house, I'd say I was about 2 or 3. My Grandad pushing the mower, me in front of him struggling to reach the handle! He bad beautiful gardens, full of roses and other flowers. Spent all his time keeping the whole place right. Those were the days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    My first memory is cutting the grass in my Grandads house, I'd say I was about 2 or 3. My Grandad pushing the mower, me in front of him struggling to reach the handle! He bad beautiful gardens, full of roses and other flowers. Spent all his time keeping the whole place right. Those were the days :)

That's such a lovely first memory :)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

I remember it being a sunny day and I was picking raspberry's and throwing them in the cement mixer attachment on the back of my ride on tractor and turning the handle to make it spin. I would have been 3 or 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I think my first memory is being pushed on one of those toy seat things, like a scooter with a seat and handle? This was along my street, near the entrance by my mother. She does not remember this at all and said I may have imagined it.

Another is when I got my dog, I think I was 3 and a box was in the kitchen. Excited feeling in the air, they said to put my hand in, a wet nose, furry body. My best friend. I am going to cry thinking about my wee dog now. Rest his soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I remember going to visit my mother and new baby sister, and I remember the teddy I brought. I was four when my little sister was born. Definitely don't think I can remember anything much earlier than that! I think it's mad that people remember standing in their cot and stuff like that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I remember an image of a round tea tray hanging on the wall of a kitchen. One of those fugly geometric designs, in brown and orange, that were so popular at that time. I mentioned it to my mother some years back, and was told that tray was hanging in the first house my folks had as a married couple. We moved when I was around 20 months old. The tray stayed behind. So, I suppose my earliest memory is at somewhere south of two years old. Beat that! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

At the circus when I was about 3. Getting a picture taken of me with a little flag and a Camel. Still have the picture. I remember that moment so clearly. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Prob posted this before, but anyway....

Lying in my cot for the afternoon nap. Suddenly I found it hard to breathe. Struggled for a short while. Realised that all was lost very quick.

I felt quite comfortable at that point. Just drifting away....

Next thing, my Mam untangled the blankets that were suffocating me.

Many years later, I told this story to my girlfriend (later wife). I'm sure she took the story with a pinch of salt.

When she met my Mother the story unfolded from her side. 'I was downstairs & just had a feeling that something was wrong, so I ran up to see'.

The GF was floored by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I remember walking home from the hospital the day after I was born.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

endacl wrote: »
    I remember an image of a round tea tray hanging on the wall of a kitchen. One of those fugly geometric designs, in brown and orange, that were so popular at that time. I mentioned it to my mother some years back, and was told that tray was hanging in the first house my folks had as a married couple. We moved when I was around 20 months old. The tray stayed behind. So, I suppose my earliest memory is at somewhere south of two years old. Beat that! :)

Its funny how the 70's are always portrayed as this colorful world in movies and on TV. When in reality there were only 2 colors, brown and orange. And way too much brown at that.

My first memory was sitting on the floor and playing with trains. Märklin HO gauge to be precise, I only ever wanted to play with the steam train model. I didn't operate the control at that age, just pushing them round the floor. :) We moved out of that house before I went to kindergarten, so I would not have been 3 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I remember my first day of playschool. I remember the velvet dress I was wearing. I was nervous so my ma stayed with me, then she must have thought I had settled because I saw her at the door trying to sneak out. I screamed and wrapped myself around her leg and sat on her foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,214 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I have a very vague recollection of going to bed for the first time without a nappy, I was so happy with myself.
    Ah granddad, in fairness, that was only last week and neither us nor the mop and bucket were too happy when we found out!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I remember sitting on the floor in our old, old kitchen (our house has been through a number of re-designs over the years) banging pots and pans in time as my man sang along to Got My Mind Set on You by George Harrison, it was released when I was 3

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I remember sitting at the window in my old house, waiting for my dad to come back from work and watching for his car. My mam said I used to do it everyday, I must have been around 2-3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I remember getting on a bus with my mum and thinking the step was really high and that it was really hard to get onto the bus. I had to have been under two, because we lived in town until just before my second birthday and my mum used to take the bus. No buses where we moved after that, and I didn't get on one again til I was in school. (And it was one of those low-rise buses who's steps are really low). It's a really vivid memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I remember sitting on my grandmother's knee. It must have been summer because she was wearing a white short sleeved dress with yellow stripes on it. I didn't turn two until the following autumn and she died shortly after that so I'm guessing I was around a year and a half at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I remember sitting in my high chair in our living room and my mam bringing me in my tea - there are no photos of my high chair in that room, so for years I thought I'd dreamed it. Recounted it to my mam a while ago and she said it was accurate. Reckons I was about 18-24 months.

I do think women can generally remember early years better than men-my OH doesn't even remember his first day of school!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭PMBC

Not a record this. The nearest shop was a sweet shop with a window at 'buggy' level into the sweet display. I remember looking in rthat window admiring and choosing with my youngest sister. The shop is still there, different owner.

Lovely memories from other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I remember when all this was fields.

My earliest memory is when I was approx 14 months old of my grandfather (who died when i was 15 months old) I have a clear memory of him lying in his bed and giving me money when my mum brought me up to his bedroom to see him. Its a very very clear vivid memory and I have a very clear picture of him in my mind. Its a very precious memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

I remember having my nappy changed. I think I might have been around a year old. I remember my mam making me giggle by blowing raspberries on my tummy and how cold the sudocreme felt.

Advertisement