Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EDT lessons

Options
  • 02-05-2016 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

In short, for the driving instructor to sign off on a lesson, does the content have to refer to the description on the log book?

My second provisional is due to expire in August. I understand that to apply for a third, I need to have sat a test or have a date. However I haven't completed my lessons, I only have six done and they're from three years ago. If I started lessons again, I'd be going from scratch so I certainly wouldn't be covering the learning outcomes as described on the log book, so could the instructor still mark them as complete so that I have twelve done and then I can apply for a test in order to get my third license?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There's no reason why you can't apply for a driving test now and apply for a permit shortly (you have to be within 3 months of the expiry of your current permit) but applying to renew your permit is not dependent on having completed EDT. The RSA will accept your test booking but won't issue you a test date- you'll be on hold until you have EDT completed after which they can give you a test date. Hope that puts you in a good mood :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

cantdecide wrote: »
    There's no reason why you can't apply for a driving test now and apply for a permit shortly (you have to be within 3 months of the expiry of your current permit) but applying to renew your permit is not dependent on having completed EDT. The RSA will accept your test booking but won't issue you a test date- you'll be on hold until you have EDT completed after which they can give you a test date. Hope that puts you in a good mood :)

I'm a slightly less moody mona now ;)

Thanks for your help. So I can apply for a test now, but will they accept that for my new permit without a date?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Moody_mona wrote: »
    I'm a slightly less moody mona now ;)

Thanks for your help. So I can apply for a test now, but will they accept that for my new permit without a date?

Yes. The NDLS will be able to see that your status with the test is that you applied and you're on 'EDT Hold' and issue your permit so you can continue to learn.

Fantastic, thanks a million :)

OP again, quick question. I've applied for my test in order to get my third permit. I haven't completed my 12 lessons - am I right in thinking I can't get a test date until these are all logged? Also once I've finished them, do I have the same wait to get a test, 11 weeks or whatever it is, or is it backdated to my application date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Moody_mona wrote: »
    OP again, quick question. I've applied for my test in order to get my third permit. I haven't completed my 12 lessons - am I right in thinking I can't get a test date until these are all logged? Also once I've finished them, do I have the same wait to get a test, 11 weeks or whatever it is, or is it backdated to my application date?
    You're right.

It's not backdated.

You'll have to ring the rsa to speed up the process.

Advertisement