Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wouldn't it be great if there was a bank holiday every month?

Options
  • 02-05-2016 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

I work unbelievably hard. Sometimes my hours are OK. Other times it's ridiculously long. I'm supposed to have weekends free but there are many times when I'm called upon during weekends too.

I find with weekends whenever they are free from work, it goes by so quick and I spend the time catching up with jobs I should have been doing around the house or preparing for the week ahead or doing other jobs around the house or doing a grocery shop.

When I go back into work tomorrow. That will be that and my free time will be fairly limited and it's so easy for jobs to pile up and putting them on the long finger until you have a bit of free time that mightn't even come about at all for some days or even a week or two.

I was at a family gathering last winter and my aunt just looked exhausted. She has okish hours with her job but a long commute.

Surely, we're not the only ones with long and hectic schedules.

This bank holiday was fantastic. I knocked off Saturday morning from work and I got so much done since Saturday evening. Like I got two laundry washes done today. I'm lucky if I find time to put even one laundry wash on a week.

The period from New years to St Patrick's day is usually a long stint and a bank holiday or two in between would be lovely.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Wouldn't it be great if Mon-Fri 9-5 workers had to experience a month of shift work once in their lives so they would know what work exhaustion really is? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

I work unbelievably hard.

Surely, we're not the only ones with long and hectic schedules.

Spare a thought for those that have it even harder than you do.

https://twitter.com/KimKardashian/status/727013829255794688

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

Cathy.C wrote: »

In Kims defence , that arse would take quite a while to spray tan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

2am just finished spreading the slurry, I'm so exhausted.

I'm at work today, Double bubble. I'm always rostered for Monday so the more bank hols the merrier I'll be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

RDO, rostered day off in Australia.
    In a nutshell 2 hrs a week of your pay is held by employer, every 4th week you get a Monday off with 8 hrs pay. If it falls on a bank holiday you get the Tuesday off.
    If/when I was/am king of Ireland I'd bring it in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Wouldn't it be great if Mon-Fri 9-5 workers had to experience a month of shift work once in their lives so they would know what work exhaustion really is? :P

Shift work, try dairy farming 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

In Kims defence , that arse would take quite a while to spray tan

I'd say what takes the most time is organising the road closures and diversions before she starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

brilliant:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

do you have time to exercise op?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I would settle for an additional bank holiday in July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

A 4 day week would be sweet.

Not going to happen for me though. Still nice dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

........Sometimes my hours are OK..

Sometimes, sometimes. Luxury

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

I dont like bank holidays..find they get in the way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i would love a 4 day week.

would anyone be willing to lower their pay so they could have it.

or would you be willing to pay more for products and services to compensate for the increase in costs to provide them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Not far off one a month already. Nine per year in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

d.pop wrote: »
    RDO, rostered day off in Australia.
    In a nutshell 2 hrs a week of your pay is held by employer, every 4th week you get a Monday off with 8 hrs pay. If it falls on a bank holiday you get the Tuesday off.
    If/when I was/am king of Ireland I'd bring it in here.

That's a great idea. I know some people have flexi time but for everyone to be guranteed it would be great. Work is important but spending time doing what you wish even more so. Happy worker is a productive worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

I will never understand the " i work way too feckin much, its killing me... i bet you dont work as hard you bum!" mentality.... no i dont work that hard and i dont want to either?? i dont see it as something to be proud of? unless ofcourse its doing something you love but then its different because its no longer work but a passion and its good to have drive...but this whole "the boss wants me to work to death so i will, and so should you otherwise you're lazy" mentality never stuck with me. Anyways, i find most people dont work nearly as hard as they suggest they do... every single person always says they had a long hard day, regardless of what they did... a guy could be footing the turf or sitting on his arse in the office doing nothing and the answer will still be " i had a long hard day" regardless... Feels like just one big dick measuring competition where the only winner is your boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭PMBC

shane9689 wrote: »
    I will never understand the " i work way too feckin much, its killing me... i bet you dont work as hard you bum!" mentality.... no i dont work that hard and i dont want to either?? i dont see it as something to be proud of? unless ofcourse its doing something you love but then its different because its no longer work but a passion and its good to have drive...but this whole "the boss wants me to work to death so i will, and so should you otherwise you're lazy" mentality never stuck with me. Anyways, i find most people dont work nearly as hard as they suggest they do... every single person always says they had a long hard day, regardless of what they did... a guy could be footing the turf or sitting on his arse in the office doing nothing and the answer will still be " i had a long hard day" regardless... Feels like just one big dick measuring competition where the only winner is your boss.

Feel sorry for the 'slackers, shane. The worst days I ever had in work was when thee was little or nothing to do. Busy days went very fast. Of course there is then 'too busy...'

On the other hand I know a few people on shift work and they are fighting very hard to stay on it and not go back to 9-5 mon to Friday as they much prefer shift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,632 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

On the other hand I know a few people on shift work and they are fighting very hard to stay on it and not go back to 9-5 mon to Friday as they much prefer shift.

Clearly the shift work has driven them insane :pac:

I used to have a moving day off - Monday one week, Tuesday the next - it meant I got a three day weekend every six weeks. (didn't work Sundays)

Our bank holidays aren't very well laid out - three at the coldest darkest part of the year and then a bunch in the summer with long stretches in Spring and Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Shift and 9-5 both have their advantages.It really depends on how many people you know doing them I think. If people are doing something midweek I don't really get to do it like I used to in my shift days. You get more lie ins with shift so it can be more relaxing if you don't mind having to work late. Differing start times can naturally make you more tired though. Having to get up at 7 or 8 every day can feel like a lot of pressure, especially when it's only Tuesday and you have 3 more days of it to go.

Advertisement