Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronic Pain

Options
  • 02-05-2016 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering, can a regular G.P. "prescribe" for want of a better word, a Course or few sessions of Physio for someone with Chronic Pain, under the Medical Card Scheme as prescription treatment per se.... Don't have the money to fork out for it, this is where the Medical Card would come in beneficially for me and serve my medical needs, but may not be able to avail of it like that.... Unless there's a way it can be done like that? Anyone out there with Chronic Pain getting physio under their G.P?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I got referred for physio in local hospital years ago, there was a wait list but i was seen.. Could you call reception at your doctor's office and run it past them?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭rucksack

I am just wondering, can a regular G.P. "prescribe" for want of a better word, a Course or few sessions of Physio for someone with Chronic Pain, under the Medical Card Scheme as prescription treatment per se.... Don't have the money to fork out for it, this is where the Medical Card would come in beneficially for me and serve my medical needs, but may not be able to avail of it like that.... Unless there's a way it can be done like that? Anyone out there with Chronic Pain getting physio under their G.P?
    The GP can refer you to a physio at the hospital under medical card if they consider that the best way. But it is the physio who then decides if you get a course. Probably you would get taught how to do exercises at home rather that be given physio at least in some hospitals.Bit of a joke to my mind.

I do know someone who was given a course of physio after being in an accident but most referrals i know of are taught exercises to do themselves rather than given physio by a physio

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

Being a very chronic pain patient, i can tell you that the dont give much physio to chronic pain patients. You might get one physio session with a list of exercises, or if you have back pain, you may be lucky enough to be recruited to the "back to fitness" class. They don't like throwing money down the drain on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Sophie_

Hi all,
    Tbh, I don't agree with this statement that physios don't pay much attention to cp patients. I'm not saying tha libemusiv4life isn't telling the truth, I'm presuming that that is his/her experience and why would they lie.
    In saying that Physio has never helped me with my cp. when I say I suffer from cp. I've had a lumbar fusion, a spinal cord stimulator several other surgeries that some are now considered as failed.
    I think depending on your injury physio might help.
    I'm wondering now than a few years have passed, how have you all got in? Are any of you perhaps in no pain, less pain, more or less the same. How did you get there? Did you have physio and did it help?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I was offered physio after smashing my wrist. The setting had gone wrong ( K wires moved) and I was at a great distance from the hospital and stopped going. I worked my hand etc back to full mobility and strength at home . Had a classical ballet training so know re muscles etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm still with the pain clinic in my local hospital, perhaps a referral to someone like that would be an alternative first step?.

Advertisement