Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2:2 Degree and Becoming Accountant

Options
  • 02-05-2016 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭

So my brother is currently in DIT and expects to get a 2:2 degree in Acc and Fin, only reason is one or two modules in second year which count for 33% of overall didn't go his way. He previously has a 2:1 in L6 Higher Cert in Business.

Just wondering what are the chances of getting a trainee account job with the big four or just in general. Even general Finance type jobs?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Big 4 require 2.1 or better as far as I know. Unlikely he will even get an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Probably best he try & get some professional exams under his belt now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Probably go small practice
    Get better all round training
    And can still get roles with a multinational after it
    Big 4 picky as heck and sometimes unless you know someone in there you've no chance anyways
    I did that course got 2.2 degree trained small and now work for a multinational for my last 3 roles

brinty wrote: »
    Big 4 picky as heck and sometimes unless you know someone in there you've no chance anyways
    I did that course got 2.2 degree trained small and now work for a multinational for my last 3 roles

It seems to me that training with the big 4 is fine for someone in their early 20s just out of college with high level degree and who wants the name on their CV past work record. Well from what I've read it's certainly not for the money. :)

But even so, many on this forum have previously said that you get lots of auditing experience with the big 4 and little more. Of course I have no idea if that's true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

A friend of mine has a 2.1 B. Comm, currently doing a masters in accountancy, and couldn't get accepted (even interviewed) at a big 4 due to not having 420+ leaving cert points.
    They might look alright on a CV but ai don't think anyone enjoys it. If he gets in anywhere and takes more exams further down the line he'll be flying

• Advertisement

A friend of mine has a 2.1 B. Comm, currently doing a masters in accountancy, and couldn't get accepted (even interviewed) at a big 4 due to not having 420+ leaving cert points.
    They might look alright on a CV but ai don't think anyone enjoys it. If he gets in anywhere and takes more exams further down the line he'll be flying

hmmm I'd have thought most Business degrees in Universities in this country would require 450 points and upwards due to their popularity anyway?

Or is your friend a mature student who done the LC years ago?

Anyways, I wouldn't want to work for accountants who are concerned that someone didn't get a higher level honours grade in Irish ;)

These are probably the same type of outfits that buy heavily into the American concept of 'presenteeism' and putting pressure on junior employees to record less hours than actually worked as many have attested to on various work related forums I've perused over the last year or two.

Not my cup of tea but everyone has their own plans I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

Maybe she said 450, I can't be certain. But no, just ridiculously low points!
    The points for NUI Galway this year were only 390, I think UCC & UCD might be higher, in the 450+ range.

He will get work but the Big 4 might filter him out automatically.

Tell him to put some work into his CV and to research alternatives - bigger firms outside the big 4, small firms, regional firms, industry, fund accounting etc. There are plenty of options but they require a bit of legwork to get.

Big 4 is often the path of least resistance and alternatives aren't actively considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Finance Grad 2015

Big 4 weasel you out on a results basis quite quickly unfortunately! If he's certain on a big 4 role then the UK offices accept 2.2 students.

Aside from that tell him to really think about the benefits of training in smaller practices (quite possibly staying within top ten).

Also, depending when he's hoping to start... he's definately missed out on this year's milkround so it may be harder to get a place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

brinty wrote: »

Hi, that's good to hear, he doesn't even know if he wants to be an accountant but is likely going pick options towards that for 3rd year. I think the real issue for him is he thinks he won't get a look in with any companies with a 2:2 as a lot of the ads online say 2:1 or better etc.

He is also possibly opting for a masters in Acc if they doesn't get the 2:1

Did you apply during your final year or after you graduated?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Hi, that's good to hear, he doesn't even know if he wants to be an accountant but is likely going pick options towards that for 3rd year. I think the real issue for him is he thinks he won't get a look in with any companies with a 2:2 as a lot of the ads online say 2:1 or better etc.

He is also possibly opting for a masters in Acc if they doesn't get the 2:1

Did you apply during your final year or after you graduated?

I applied for big 4 during final year milk round but never got a call.

I then signed a pre contract with a small practice before I finished college and they wanted me to have full exemptions from prof 2's (I'm ACA qualified) based on college result. I missed out on one exemption (Tax) and they withdrew their offer.

I then applied to another batch of practices during the summer (CAI provided a list of hiring practices) and got a job with a small practice on better money than I had originally signed for..

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

I didn't do a finance related degree and was encouraged by a friend to apply for one of the big 4 once I had my ATI qualification. Needless to say I never even got a phone call back.

It hasn't hurt my career one bit, I've been working in industry ever since and just recently was asked to submit my CV for the same big 4 firm as they had a vacancy in corporate finance.

Many of the large multinationals will take on recent graduates and pay for professional exams. The experience you get is excellent and might be a good option for your brother OP if he's not sure if accountancy will be his long term career.

Advertisement