Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you read Comic Books?

Options
  • 02-05-2016 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of the chatter in the Superhero/Supervillain battles threads seems to centre around movie representations of the characters. Do you good folk read comic books at all? And if so, what're your faves?

Do you read Comic Books? 19 votes

Yes, I'm awesome!
    0% 0 votes
    No...
    63% 12 votes
    I used to but not anymore...
    10% 2 votes
    No but I'm thinking of starting!
    26% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Starting off, I read comics. I'm more a Marvel guy than a DC guy, though my favourite character has always been Batman. Some of my favourite characters are:

Batman
    Daredevil
    Captain America
    Thor
    Doctor Strange
    Superman
    Spider-Man
    Ghost Rider
    Iron Fist
    Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan version)
    Multiple Man
    Black Widow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

no I don't read comics. in the two tournaments so far ive tried to base my votes on various things - animated series, movies, powers and abilities, costume anything I can think of really. if I don't know any of the characters in a bout ill read up on them or just abstain. 99% of the time ill just go with my heart - if I really like the character ill vote yes. I wont just vote for the one with the most power - how boring would that be? the final would be decided after the first round!

I hope not reading comics doesn't diminish my vote - that's what im afraid of by replying to this thread.

the only time ive wanted to start reading comics was when I watched Deadpool! ive seen that movie about five times so far and ive not got bored of it yet. I am open to reading good ones - if anybody has any suggestions fire them this way. Night of the Living Deadpool is one ive seen suggested and one where Deadpool squares up to Wolverine? not sure what its called though

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

My association has tended to be primarily through the animated series and through films. But I have checked out a few comics on Youtube where fans make them into episodes, adding sound effects etc.

I saw Superman: Red Son that way and thought it was brilliant; I loved that whole concept. Also saw Kraven's Last Hunt, Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe, and a few others.

I should buy some comics but I guess I'm too cheap. :P

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

sonic85 wrote: »
    no I don't read comics. in the two tournaments so far ive tried to base my votes on various things - animated series, movies, powers and abilities, costume anything I can think of really. if I don't know any of the characters in a bout ill read up on them or just abstain. 99% of the time ill just go with my heart - if I really like the character ill vote yes. I wont just vote for the one with the most power - how boring would that be? the final would be decided after the first round!

I hope not reading comics doesn't diminish my vote - that's what im afraid of by replying to this thread.

the only time ive wanted to start reading comics was when I watched Deadpool! ive seen that movie about five times so far and ive not got bored of it yet. I am open to reading good ones - if anybody has any suggestions fire them this way. Night of the Living Deadpool is one ive seen suggested and one where Deadpool squares up to Wolverine? not sure what its called though

Nooooo, not at all! It was just an observation. I grew up on Batman and Spider-Man cartoons and got into comics that way!

As far as Deadpool comics, I mostly just read the limited series; I'm not huge on his on-goings. Night of... is a good read, as is its sequel!

My association has tended to be primarily through the animated series and through films. But I have checked out a few comics on Youtube where fans make them into episodes, adding sound effects etc.

I saw Superman: Red Son that way and thought it was brilliant; I loved that whole concept. Also saw Kraven's Last Hunt, Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe, and a few others.

I should buy some comics but I guess I'm too cheap. :P

if you've got a tablet, I highly recommend the Marvel Unlimited app! $9.99 a month for thousands of Marvel Comics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I've only read 2 comic books, Batman: The Long Halloween & Marvel's main Civil War book, looking to expand on what I have..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I do read comics, but mostly series' like The Walking Dead, Morning Glories etc. rather than the Marvel or DC superhero comics, but I have on occasion dipped in to some X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman, Deadpool stuff and a few others, but it's really hard to know where to begin with a lot of those characters, not to mention how expensive comics are.

Like others, for the tournament I've been basing most of my votes on the animated cartoons which I grew up on, the Arrow-verse TV shows, other TV shows throughout the years, and the movies, as well as reading up on characters I'm not as familiar with, but usually there's a character I particularly like in each face-off. I've sat out a few votes when I haven't known either of the characters, but usually I've an affiliation for one or the other.

if you've got a tablet, I highly recommend the Marvel Unlimited app! $9.99 a month for thousands of Marvel Comics!

that's a good suggestion thanks - ill have a look at that

I do read comics, but mostly series' like The Walking Dead, Morning Glories etc. rather than the Marvel or DC superhero comics, but I have on occasion dipped in to some X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman, Deadpool stuff and a few others, but it's really hard to know where to begin with a lot of those characters, not to mention how expensive comics are.

Like others, for the tournament I've been basing most of my votes on the animated cartoons which I grew up on, the Arrow-verse TV shows, other TV shows throughout the years, and the movies, as well as reading up on characters I'm not as familiar with, but usually there's a character I particularly like in each face-off. I've sat out a few votes when I haven't known either of the characters, but usually I've an affiliation for one or the other.

that's something that would put me off - most of these characters have gone through so many incarnations and have so many series under their belts its very hard to know where to start!

that's something that would put me off - most of these characters have gone through so many incarnations and have so many series under their belts its very hard to know where to start!

Yeah, that has always been my problem when it comes to picking comics - I know there's a wide variety of stand-alone stories and different incarnations of the characters, but just as when I watch a TV show I like to start at the very beginning and with all the Marvel and DC heroes in comic format, that's a very difficult task. Whereas with a new series like Morning Glories, I know exactly where to begin and the story is entirely new to me because there hasn't been hundreds of cartoons and films made from that story, so I'm drawn to it more and it is like starting a good novel series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I was thinking of this also reading the last thread especially seeing the likes of Mystique and Doom going out , there characters have been ****ed royally when it comes to the big screen but as someone pointed out in the comics Doom is amazing one of the best villians in the universe

Mystique too is alot better as she is actually a villain not the faux leader of the X-Men which is a joke now in the movies

But i digress my 1st time finding these characters was the animated shows that were on in the mid 90's Iron Man, Spiderman, Hulk, Silver Surfer (only had 1 season :( ) and the not so great F4 one then i moved onto the comics , Comics are so broad though and as others said there's so much there its really a case of picking and choosing and hoping for the best , I think it was plain to see alot of people don't read comics and thats fine , would explain how Punisher got so far in the superhero competition

Everyone has there own favourites and interpretations so everyone's vote is definitely valid

^^Yeah, I didn't mean to imply anyone's vote counted less if they didn't read comics. This is a superhero forum, irrespective of medium!
    Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I've only read 2 comic books, Batman: The Long Halloween & Marvel's main Civil War book, looking to expand on what I have..

If you liked The Long Halloween, check out its sequel Dark Victory! They're both kinda soft sequels to Frank Miller's Batman Year One, which is great!
    I do read comics, but mostly series' like The Walking Dead, Morning Glories etc. rather than the Marvel or DC superhero comics, but I have on occasion dipped in to some X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman, Deadpool stuff and a few others, but it's really hard to know where to begin with a lot of those characters, not to mention how expensive comics are

Morning Glories is SO good.

Yeah, some of the characters have SO much backstory. You kinda have to either dive in or get recommendations. I'll start a thread...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

I was always into superheroes growing up but mostly like others through TV and movies. I think I maybe bought one comic which was a Wolverine Deadpool story and possibly a few Batman comics for kids.

Over the last two years I've read a good number of comics mostly through online sources. Like others I had no idea where to jump on so given most of my favorite characters had always been DC ones when I heard of the New 52 (which I know many hate) I used that as my starting off point. I've since read some classic stories as well. For the most part I just keep up to date with the relevant Batman, Superman and JL titles but as publishing can be so slow I'll occasionally work my way through a recommended run on another comic,

Morning Glories is SO good.

Yeah it was one I wasn't sure what to expect going in to it, but really got sucked in straight away. I buy the Trade Paperbacks (never been able to read books or anything on a kindle/tablet and it's the same with comics, I like having something physical in my hands), but think I may even be one behind on that, so I'm not up to date on them. Definitely an intriguing and enjoyable series though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I used to read comics a lot when I was younger now I find myself drawn to the cinematic universes more but I still dip back into the comics every now again.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

When I was growing up I never read any of the comics but I loved all the cartoons and I actually had some novels that were really good. I was big into books and didn't like the idea of all the pictures, I wanted words and to imagine stuff for myself. But when all the movies started coming out I had to start reading the comics as I needed to know more about the characters and discovered that I loved comic books. Luckily my brother has loads so I've been able to borrow them off him.

I prefer Marvel over DC but I'd say Identity Crisis is probably my favourite. Hawkeye is easily my favourite character because he's so relatable in a world of craziness and Matt Fraction's run is great. Loved Brubakers Captain America run too.

I really need to start reading them again but I moved house and I've got exams coming up so I can't really justify taking them out of boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I've a huge stack of hardcover and paperbacks having gotten into comics a few years ago, but I haven't bought any in ages now. Was mostly buying classic books I'd have missed out on over the years.

Nowadays I'll occasionally download comics from the Marvel app but usually just big event comics like Secret Wars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Good thread idea and certainly got me thinking! I've pretty much engorged superheroes stories, from an early age & from every conceivable medium - EXCEPT the actual comic-books themselves. Sure, I've read a few of the classics and more noteworthy editions, not to mention the odd non-superhero comic (big, belated fan of Judge Dredd for instance, and I've picked up the occasional Dr. Who compendium of all things). So generally, if superheroes are involved, I'm probably going to watch & enjoy it - despite what any complaints about the MCU in the Film Forum might suggest ;)

Heck, to really gaze at my navel, I think the entire concept of the superhero is something of a universal narrative that has existed for centuries: we have always told tales of heroes with powers beyond the human; it was just that until the 20th century, we weren't dressing them in spandex.

As to the why of my allergy towards the comicbook, I think superhero comics have tended to come across as an unappealing fustercluck of convoluted mythologies, retconns, reboots and plain garbled narratives all trying to coalesce into one overwhelming continuity (eg, iirc Hawkgirl has a backstory and continuity that could be charitably described as 'byzantine'). Add to that is the sheer bulk of narrative across decades, revolving around some characters, plus the necessity to keep those stories churned out from the Marvel/DC sweatshops - it culminates in something that holds no sway for me.

Adaptations, be they in the cinema or on TV, tend to feel fresher and like a clean broom - less beholden to the precedent and continuity clogging up the comicbook timelines . They exist within their own sphere and can nod towards what came before without having to work around it somehow. You also often end up with something like Batman: The Animated Series, which to my mind is one of the greatest animated ever produced.

Probably makes no sense to anyone else, and may even be borderline heretical, but is certainly how it feels to me :)

pixelburp wrote: »
    Good thread idea and certainly got me thinking! I've pretty much engorged superheroes stories, from an early age & from every conceivable medium - EXCEPT the actual comic-books themselves. Sure, I've read a few of the classics and more noteworthy editions, not to mention the odd non-superhero comic (big, belated fan of Judge Dredd for instance, and I've picked up the occasional Dr. Who compendium of all things). So generally, if superheroes are involved, I'm probably going to watch & enjoy it - despite what any complaints about the MCU in the Film Forum might suggest ;)

Heck, to really gaze at my navel, I think the entire concept of the superhero is something of a universal narrative that has existed for centuries: we have always told tales of heroes with powers beyond the human; it was just that until the 20th century, we weren't dressing them in spandex.

As to the why of my allergy towards the comicbook, I think superhero comics have tended to come across as an unappealing fustercluck of convoluted mythologies, retconns, reboots and plain garbled narratives all trying to coalesce into one overwhelming continuity (eg, iirc Hawkgirl has a backstory and continuity that could be charitably described as 'byzantine'). Add to that is the sheer bulk of narrative across decades, revolving around some characters, plus the necessity to keep those stories churned out from the Marvel/DC sweatshops - it culminates in something that holds no sway for me.

Adaptations, be they in the cinema or on TV, tend to feel fresher and like a clean broom - less beholden to the precedent and continuity clogging up the comicbook timelines . They exist within their own sphere and can nod towards what came before without having to work around it somehow. You also often end up with something like Batman: The Animated Series, which to my mind is one of the greatest animated ever produced.

Probably makes no sense to anyone else, and may even be borderline heretical, but is certainly how it feels to me :)

Makes perfect sense to me anyway and I tend to agree with you.

Advertisement