Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport for Ireland

Options
  • 01-05-2016 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

I know this is going to cause some controversy but I was just on the 'Transport for Ireland' website, should this not be called 'Transport for Dublin'? I know it's the nations capital and has the larger population but there seems to be very little focus on any area outside of Dublin.

Surely in this day and age we should be looking at improving our public transport in all our cities and target making this service more sustainable for future generations rather than forcing them to sort out the mess they are destined to inherit from our generation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Michael Healy-Rae, is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Should be abolished,another fg white elephant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I know this is going to cause some controversy but I was just on the 'Transport for Ireland' website, should this not be called 'Transport for Dublin'? I know it's the nations capital and has the larger population but there seems to be very little focus on any area outside of Dublin.

Surely in this day and age we should be looking at improving our public transport in all our cities and target making this service more sustainable for future generations rather than forcing them to sort out the mess they are destined to inherit from our generation.

You do have a point.

it's worth bearing in mind,that the National Transport Authority was a late-comer to the table,as we already had the Dublin Transportation Office,which was scheduled to become the Dublin Transport AUTHORITY in 2009...however in the recessive times that were in it,the Government of the day decided to go for a bulk-buy initiative....Wiki has a concise account here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Transportation_Office

And so we are where we are.....:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

BowWow wrote: »
    Michael Healy-Rae, is that you?

Haha! I just think that while a lot of our roads were upgraded during the Celtic tiger (which, don't get me wrong, was badly needed) our public transport services were all but forgotten outside of the capital. Now there is an emphasis on abandoning the cars and shoe horning people in to an unreliable public transport system nationwide.

It seems to be a case of 'call it something new and it will look like we're improving it'. It just baffles me and is an issue which will need to be addressed otherwise the next generation will be forced to suffer the consequences.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I agree, they've done nothing, a really short list

- Provision of Ticket Machines at Dublin Airport
    - Leap Card roll out to 5 cities
    - Discounts for switching between multiple modes.
    - Wifi on DART, Bus Eireann, Dublin Bus
    - Real Time Information across the country
    - Integrated Real Time App with Bus, Train and Luas all in.
    - Integrated Route Planner showing ALL public transport services.
    - Public Transport Spider Maps showing ALL operators.
    - Departure and Local Area Boards at Airports, Stations and high traffic areas
    - Visitor Leap Card
    - Student Leap Card virtually cutting all student travel fraud
    - Automatic discounts with Leap 90
    - Fare Capping
    - Onboard Passenger Information (screens/voice)
    - Cycling Planner
    - Walking Planner
    - Higher spec double deck buses
    - An increase in the double decker allocation in regional ciites
    - Easier to read timetables in regional cities
    - Taxi Fare Estimator
    - Leap Card Top Up App
    - Taxi Driver Check App
    - Maps and guides for major events
    - Family Leap Card for 1916.

Not a lot really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,563 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Really?

So the redesigned and increased PSO bus networks in:

Cork City
    Cork Suburban
    Limerick City
    Waterford City
    Galway City
    Sligo town
    Southeast (Wexford/Waterford)
    Northeast (Louth/Monaghan/Cavan/Meath)
    Co. Kerry
    Co. Clare
    Co. Mayo
    Co. Sligo
    Co. Galway
    Co. Donegal
    N2 corridor
    N4 corridor
    N81 corridor

clearly don't count then do they?

I'm living in Limerick, the country's 3rd/4th city. I just used the journey planner app to check my commute from my home in Castletroy to Raheen Business Park (this and also the reverse would be a regular route for many commuters in Limerick) and the first suggestion from the public transport planner app was a taxi, 20 minutes....seriously!

Using buses it would take 1 hr and 19 minutes. I put down my arrival time of 8am (the time a lot of businesses start the working day) and the earliest it could have me there using the public transport option was 9:19 am. I had the date down as Thursday May 5th. This doesn't exactly persuade me to leave the car at home and bus it to work.

Limerick isn't a big city, this is 2016, all this real time information, journey planner apps, spider maps etc should be available, as should a decent and reliable public transport system in a moderate sized city in a developed country.

I'm living in Limerick, the country's 3rd/4th city. I just used the journey planner app to check my commute from my home in Castletroy to Raheen Business Park (this and also the reverse would be a regular route for many commuters in Limerick) and the first suggestion from the public transport planner app was a taxi, 20 minutes....seriously!

Using buses it would take 1 hr and 19 minutes. I put down my arrival time of 8am (the time a lot of businesses start the working day) and the earliest it could have me there using the public transport option was 9:19 am. I had the date down as Thursday May 5th. This doesn't exactly persuade me to leave the car at home and bus it to work.

Limerick isn't a big city, this is 2016, all this real time information, journey planner apps, spider maps etc should be available, as should a decent and reliable public transport system in a moderate sized city in a developed country.

All those things that you list in the last paragraph ARE available for Limerick.

The 304 links UL with Raheen:
    http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1425473015-304.pdf

First bus is at 07:00 arriving 07:55.

Spider map is here:
    https://6fbc941dc3601609010c-fefe0183ab5374c49be7718979d9b9c7.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Limerick_Map_A3.pdf?089935

lxflyer wrote: »
    All those things that you list in the last paragraph ARE available for Limerick.

Yes the real time information etc is available but I wouldn't class what we have as a good and reliable public transport system. Read my last post again, the only way I can get from where I live (which has a large population and is also a large area for industry) to where I work (which also has a large population and is a large area for industry) on time is by taxi. I cannot use any other mode of public transit, I will not be on time for work. I'd say something if I was working unsociable hours but given the volume of traffic in the morning it looks like I'm not the only one who starts at this time. Plus 1 hr and 19 mins is a long time for such a commute in a moderate sized city. This should take no more than 45 mins, an hour tops. Also, I may be wrong, but I'd doubt the 1 hr and 19 mins does not factor in traffic which I'd imagine would be heavy given the route, schools along the route and the arrival time of 9:19.

Today is public holiday, remember all schedules will be based on that on the journey planner website, based on a Sunday timetable.

The times on public transport schedules provided by the journey planner are based on real trips and take traffic into account since they are not based on schedules but are in fact based on previous runs of the same bus over the last number of months.

• Advertisement

lxflyer wrote: »

The 304 links UL with Raheen:
    http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1425473015-304.pdf

First bus is at 07:00 arriving 07:55.

Spider map is here:
    https://6fbc941dc3601609010c-fefe0183ab5374c49be7718979d9b9c7.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Limerick_Map_A3.pdf?089935

Just saw your modified post now. It would appear the journey planner app is not up to date so?!

devnull wrote: »
    Today is public holiday, remember all schedules will be based on that on the journey planner website, based on a Sunday timetable.

The times on public transport schedules provided by the journey planner are based on real trips and take traffic into account since they are not based on schedules but are in fact based on previous runs of the same bus over the last number of months.

So if I plug in the info on a regular Monday it should be more accurate so? (Genuine question now!)

Just saw your modified post now. It would appear the journey planner app is not up to date so?!

The journey planner gives me the same journey details?

You may need to tweak the settings but it does reflect the current timetables.

It can be quite senitive, for example - check the walking settings. You need to put in exact addresses.

Frankly most of your rants above seem to have no basis in reality.

There is an improved bus service, a map, RTPI and a journey planning app.

The journey planner gives me the same journey details?

This is what the mobile app is giving me:

This is the settings I used.

I've just used the mobile app, put in a departure time of 06:45 and the same origin/destination as above and the 07:00 departure is coming up.

Mobile app fine for me too

Mobile app fine for me too

Same here, apologies to all, the current public transport system is flawless, I shall delete this thread :)

Advertisement