Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I become a lecturer

Options
  • 01-05-2016 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi all, need a bit of knowledge from the people on here.

I completed a Higher Cert. in Business Studies a few years ago, took a year out, went back for the L7 and failed some exams that I didn't go back and repeat. Stupid I know but at the time I was only in employment where it didn't matter and wasn't sure how life would play out. Now I am in a different position where I can go back online and redo the L7 and continue on to the L8 and then some.

My question is can I continue with my plan and complete my degree online and after that is there a route that I can qualify as and become a Lecturer in a Third Level Institution?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Hi.

I am not a Lecturer currently but have until recently worked for a number of years in Further Education.

A lot of the Lecturers in 3rd Level Institutions do not hold a teaching qualification but are hired on their qualifications, expertise, industry experience, field research or interest.

For example a Marketing Lecturer nowadays will most likely hold a Masters or be studying for a PHd, have worked for a number of years in a high position, such as Marketing for Coca Cola or Abbott, be a member of the Marketing Association of Ireland, Publish papers, and do some consultancy for local companies, Present at local chamber of commerce events etc...

10 or 15 years ago, You could easily get into this work just on your qualifications, but now you need to be Top of Class so to speak.

However, if You finished your Degree, and done something like Train-the-Trainer you could aim to start off in Further Education and work your way up.

Feel free to PM me any questions you mite have and hopefully I can help.

Good Luck !

Advertisement