Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online clothes shopping tips (for a newbie who needs a lot of stuff)

Options
  • 01-05-2016 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm desperately in need of a whole pile of new clothes - work clothes, going out clothes, casual clothes, running gear, shoes - everything! I'm living in Austria, and I can rarely make it to the stores as they have very limited opening hours.

I've been looking for sites to buy online, but I'm not sure of the quality. I'm willing to spend a bit more money to get things that look well and that will last. Somewhere in the twilight zone between Zara and BTs I guess.

I've never bought clothes for myself online though, and the only time I came close was seeing something on a site thinking it was gorgeous, but when I tried it on in the real life store, it was absolutely dire on me. So I guess an easy returns policy would be useful.

FWIW, I'm 5'8", so I'd generally take a 34 length in jeans/trousers. I'd mostly wear skirts / dresses in work, and it's coming on summer now, so I'd be looking for light clothes, but I would like a really good pair of jeans. Usually a size 10 for clothes, and a 5 in shoes.

Any site recommendations would be really gratefully received, as I have a feeling that I am really bad at online shopping, and I need so much that I don't know where to start!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Asos is brilliant I think. Loads of options and they are doing free returns now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Daisy78

House of Fraser is quite good, decent mix of brands, not hugely expensive either. Can I ask generally what age group (ballpark:D)you are in? This will dictate which sites you buy from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

UZalando deliver to Austria. I don't know what steifelkonig is like for deliveries and returns but I find their selection very good.

http://www.stiefelkoenig.com/at/Damenschuhe
    http://www.zalando.com/

Also Peek and Cloppenburg might be interesting. I think they deliver to Austria.
    https://www.peek-cloppenburg.de/damen/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Thank you guys! Yep - House of Fraser I remember was good in Dundrum with a fair mix.

I'm somewhere in the middle of 30 and 32.. :p

I got a really nice work dress in Harvey Nicholas back when I was last in Ireland - this guy:

karl_lagerfeld_black_womens_louise_heavy_crepe_d.jpg

So that's the kind of style I'd be into for work - although I definitely need to get colours other than black in there(!), and I'd dress a fair bit more casually some days, like:

Tunic.jpg

I'd say I could have a budget of €1,000 - €1,500 (I know that's a lot, but I've been working the hours, and that's why I haven't shopping properly in about a year, and I'd hope that this would last me for a good while), and would include lighter and less expensive stuff for real life wear, but a few nice work pieces that I could maybe mix and match.

Thanks for those links meeeeh! I *think* we have some Peek stores here! I'll have a look, and maybe I could even collect then in store. Problem is, I get an hour to go shopping, and I get into a store and I'm so overwhelmed by how much I need, I just want to leave again! If I can do it all online I'll be sorted! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Maybe try Comma for work. S.Oliver might be worth a try, although half of their stuff is absolute rubbish and the other half is quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I definitely agree with House of Fraser! Wait until they have their next sale and your money could get you 3,000 worth of stuff or more. They have a mix of everything and a lot of it would fit your 'between Zara and BT'.

Brands on it you could look at for summer work dresses and pretty tops are definitely Phase Eight (my favourite), Sugarhill Boutique, Utam Boutique, Biba, Dorothy Perkins and their own Linea range.

They have a full selection of accessories, makeup, perfumes, handbags etc. so you can treat yourself :D. I'd order a few bits to gauge sizes and then do a bigger order. They actually have a 'fit-me' thing on their website that's brill and you put in your body shape, height, weight etc. and the size of clothes you take in a brand or two and then they tell you what size to buy in each item on their website, I use it and it really works :D

Happy shopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Adini

I would definitely recommend not buying everything in one go. Buy a few things and see how you feel in them and what you are drawn to wearing over time. Its so easy to buy a bunch of stuff that you think you like and then it ends up sitting in the wardrobe because you don't feel comfortable in it/you don't actually have places to wear a certain style very often etc. Much better to build your wardrobe more slowly - this will also make sure you aren't spending all your money and leaving out key pieces that you need.

Regarding online shopping, I tend to look for stores with free (or at least cheap) returns and then buy items in a couple of sizes (unless you know a brand well and can be sure of the size you need) There's so much variation in sizing that it can be impossible to know the size you need. Better to buy once and return rather than have to return anyway and wait for a new delivery :)

Advertisement