Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 407 1.8 petrol timing belt change

Options
  • 30-04-2016 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭

My belt will need a change soon.

I've got quotes of between €320 from small local indy, around €450 from franchise garage network, to around €750 from main dealer.

Where do you think it's worth going? I'd believe small local indy won't have a shaft locks, and will be doing it by marking with tipp-ex, which I'm not exactly happy with.. Or is that not a problem with that engine?
    Probably mid-price quote will be the same.
    On the other hand, I don't fancy paying a fortune to main dealer to do the job, but maybe it's worth it.

Or possibly I could change it myself. Is that complicated job in 407 1.8? Possible to do without the lift/pit?
    Does anyone have any manual or howto?

Anyone have any experience with that, or could recommend a good trustworthy garage around Mayo or North-West Galway area?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Did you try you tube or the google?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The 407 is a terrible car. Shocking. Take this opportunity to get rid of it and explore a whole new world.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

jimgoose wrote: »
    The 407 is a terrible car. Shocking. Take this opportunity to get rid of it and explore a whole new world.

Terrible - why?
    Because it's big?
    Because it's comfortable?
    Because it's safe?

Because above three are main points that I was looking for when buying the car.

There's hardly a better "value for money" car out there on the seconds hand market.

CiniO wrote: »

There's hardly a better "value for money" car out there on the seconds hand market.

There is, open your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

A poster creates a thread asking for some advice about getting a timing belt changed... And is told to get rid of the car... WTF? :confused:

• Advertisement

There is, open your eyes.

Well advice me then...
    Currently looks like I'm going to spend couple of hundred on timing belt.
    If I can sell 407, add this couple of hundred and buy something ready to go without a need to change anything, which will be as comfortable and safe as 407, then I'd be happy to do it.

A poster creates a thread asking for some advice about getting a timing belt changed... And is told to get rid of the car... WTF? : confused:

Its a 1.8 petrol, has it nct? If not its a scrapper.

Its a 1.8 petrol, has it nct? If not its a scrapper.

Yes, it has NCT, it's 10 years old, and it's perfect condition with low mileage. Only bought it 2 months ago.
    Cars like that cost many thousands € on the Continent because they are good cars. In Ireland can be purchased for doughnuts, because there's plenty of people who think the same way as you do: peugeot = scrapper. And praise them for it, as thanks to them I could get a nice car for nothing :)

Incorrect I said no nct = scrapper. It has high tax, its a thirsty yoke. How much test has it?

Incorrect I said no nct = scrapper. It has high tax, its a thirsty yoke. How much test has it?

Until Jan 2017 - what's the difference? I'll test it again in Nov-Dec and it will be until Jan 2018.

Or are you asking, to estimate current value?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,025 ✭✭✭✭unkel

In Ireland can be purchased for doughnuts

Peanuts ;)

Your car is 10 years old, you recently bought it. I guess you paid around €1,500 for it?

If I were you, I would play belt roulette like a bangernomics boss. Don't spend a small fortune to change the belt. Just hope for the best. You will probably be ok and if not, time for your next bangernomics purchase...

Until Jan 2017 - what's the difference? I'll test it again in Nov-Dec and it will be until Jan 2018.

Or are you asking, to estimate current value?

Ok so what is is its current value bearing in mind it needs a timing belt change? How much would George Dalton now charge for such a job?

unkel wrote: »
    Peanuts ;)

Your car is 10 years old, you recently bought it. I guess you paid around €1,500 for it?

If I were you, I would play belt roulette like a bangernomics boss. Don't spend a small fortune to change the belt. Just hope for the best. You will probably be ok and if not, time for your next bangernomics purchase...
    Ok so what is is its current value bearing in mind it needs a timing belt change? How much would George Dalton now charge for such a job?

Car is not worth much, and figure unkel guessed is nearly spot on.
    But it only mattered for me how much it's worth, when I was buying it. And low value was rather positive thing here.

Now market value is completely irrelevant, because I'll probably keep that car for next 5-8 years so I want to keep it running trouble free. Change of timing belt is crucial so, no matter what percentage of car value the cost of belt change will be.

Found this video - it looks like it's the same engine.
    Looks pretty straight forward, so might try do it on my own.

God bless the you tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

Terrible - why?
    Because it's big?
    Because it's safe?

I'm with you 100%. I drive a 407 Coupe 2.2 petrol which I bought for buttons 18 months ago. Has nct till Nov 2017. Failed the test on a ball joint. Cost to fix it,€50. A much maligned car in my opinion.Vive le France🇫🇷

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

I did one about a year and a half back, straightfoward enough but the crankshaft bolt had been fitted with locktite and was a real pain to remove.
    I actually tought something would shear it was so bonded all the way out.

I also had to replace the auxillary belt tensioner and idler pulley which pushed up the cost.

Still, all this, a service, new driveshaft oil seal and new number plate came in under your main dealer quote.

dieselbug wrote: »
    I did one about a year and a half back, straightfoward enough but the crankshaft bolt had been fitted with locktite and was a real pain to remove.
    I actually tought something would shear it was so bonded all the way out.

I also had to replace the auxillary belt tensioner and idler pulley which pushed up the cost.

Still, all this, a service, new driveshaft oil seal and new number plate came in under your main dealer quote.

Thanks.

Why was it fitted with loctite?
    Do you recon someone previously changing belt did that?
    My car still is on origianl belt, so should be allright there.
    What could be the reason someone put loctite there? Is it hard to tighten or something?

Why did you have to change auxilary belt and pulley? Were they worn?
    What mileage was on your car when you did that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

The car had full main dealer serviceing before it came to me.

The loctite thing is recommended by Peugeot afair. This was the second T belt change on it previoue one at the dealers.

Anyway I put it back using loctite on the bolt and would recommend you do the same. I have come across it since on other Peugeots.

Auxillary tensioner and idler were rough and noisy and needed to be replaced but added less than 100euro to the job.

If yours is still on the original belt I would expect that the bolt is treated with loctite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

Terrible - why?
    Because it's big?
    Because it's safe?

i doubt any car in its class for that year would beat it for comfort. a low mileage looked example could be a belter of a car.

• Advertisement

f140 wrote: »
    i doubt any car in its class for that year would beat it for comfort. a low mileage looked example could be a belter of a car.

C5 would beat it for comfort with its air suspension. But would be bit more expensive as well I'd say.
    Beside, absolutely nothing in that price range which would be even close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Just sold an 09 407 with 92k klms on it,it had 25k klms on it when I bought it.,3 years of trouble free motoring.
    1.8 petrol as well.Never an issue with it,just routine stuff,lovely comfortable car with good spec,couldn't fault it,unlike the small turbo charged diesel that it replaced,yes the diesel was much more economical,but gave me so much trouble with sensors,going into limp mode etc.

I had the belt done on mine,it cost me €350 all in,belt kit,aux belt,coolant,water pump.

Just on the water pump,you are better off getting the complete pump,a lot of people just get the bearing half,this can lead to problems as sometimes they do not seal together well and can leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,025 ✭✭✭✭unkel

R75 is more comfortable (on standard 15" wheels with fat tyres). W210 more comfortable again (but that would be a lot older than your car for that kinda money)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

R75 is more comfortable (on standard 15" wheels with fat tyres). W210 more comfortable again (but that would be a lot older than your car for that kinda money)

I never found the 407 all that comfortable. Even the older 406 is a more comfortable car I think.

Why was it fitted with loctite?

Some genius on the google did it and reckoned it was necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

Some women marry for love,some women marry for riches but give me the woman who marries for what he has in his britches.

I wasn't even aware such car existed.
    I was never into rovers.
    But indeed looks cheaper than 407.

So a little update.

I was considering doing it myself, but in the end decided against.
    I don't have access to indoor garage or pit, and manual on youtube wasn't exactly clear to me. I also don't have locking tools.

As I couldn't find trustworthy mechanic in my area, I thought about forum and George Dalton's garage.

We set an appointment and I took a drive to Co. Laois.
    I must admit he offers fully professional service at very high standard and reasonable price.
    He was very helpful, explained everything about the job... He found another minor fault with the car, which he was able to fix as well on the spot. He showed me all old parts and explained what was changed, what was wrong, etc...
    As job took good few hours, he gave me replacement car so I could go to the town.
    In the end of the day, this is kind of garage I like visiting. Very good value (price vs quality of service).

Pity I don't have garages like that near me, but if I ever have any other biggish job, I'd be surely going to Laois again :)

Thanks George.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

So a little update.

I was considering doing it myself, but in the end decided against.
    I don't have access to indoor garage or pit, and manual on youtube wasn't exactly clear to me. I also don't have locking tools.

As I couldn't find trustworthy mechanic in my area, I thought about forum and George Dalton's garage.

We set an appointment and I took a drive to Co. Laois.
    I must admit he offers fully professional service at very high standard and reasonable price.
    He was very helpful, explained everything about the job... He found another minor fault with the car, which he was able to fix as well on the spot. He showed me all old parts and explained what was changed, what was wrong, etc...
    As job took good few hours, he gave me replacement car so I could go to the town.
    In the end of the day, this is kind of garage I like visiting. Very good value (price vs quality of service).

Pity I don't have garages like that near me, but if I ever have any other biggish job, I'd be surely going to Laois again :)

Thanks George.

I always thought there is a huge gap in the market for a proper nationwide chain of independent garages like this

It is such a minefield trying to find a dependable independent mechanic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

salonfire wrote: »
    dependable independent
    Oxymoron :)

Advertisement