Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension ladder 2 section or 3 section?

Options
  • 30-04-2016 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to buy an extension ladder for cleaning gutters, painting fascias.
    I'll need to store it in a shed and a 3 section may be easier to fit in than a 2 section.
    Is there anything to consider when choosing between 2 and 3 section?
    I'm assuming a 3 section is more expensive than the equivalent length 2 section?
    Will a 3 section flex more or less than a 2 section?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

just a though but would you conside a roof ladder would you have the use for it .

other than that the main thing to remember is that the 3 will flex a itle more and be more akward to carry and assemble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

You're going to need an extension ladder first in order to put up a roof ladder!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

just a though but would you conside a roof ladder would you have the use for it .

other than that the main thing to remember is that the 3 will flex a itle more and be more akward to carry and assemble

A roof ladder for cleaning gutters and fascias? A triple extension is away more practical and easy to use than a double.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

A double barely gets you high enough to clean gutters. Fine for cleaning or painting windows. But resting Ladders on Gutters is always dangerous.
    I'd say a triple ext but make sure to check the full extended length.

A roof ladder for cleaning gutters and fascias? A triple extension is away more practical and easy to use than a double.

just an option to cover all bases . i was more so going to suggest one of these aswell http://www.ladderstore.com/ladders/roof-ladders/roof-ladder-accessories/universal-aluminium-roof-hook.html

and he asked if a 3 section ladder flexes more which it does or do you disagree on that aswell ?

• Advertisement

sky6 wrote: »
    A double barely gets you high enough to clean gutters. Fine for cleaning or painting windows. But resting Ladders on Gutters is always dangerous.

http://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/p/youngman--ladder-stay/p-225557

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

sky6 wrote: »
    Depends on the height of the gutter and the length of the ladder. A 26' double extension is usually sufficient to safely reach the gutter for cleaning.
    But a triple is handier for storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,985 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Realistically it sounds like you might use it once a year. Good quality 26 foot ladder is 250 to 300. Hiring one once a year is pretty cheap & you don't have to store it.

Triple ladder is heavier that a double

and he asked if a 3 section ladder flexes more which it does or do you disagree on that aswell ?

It will, we agree on that point.
    Sleeper12 wrote: »

Triple ladder is heavier that a double

Ah hear we are only talking grams, lets start splitting hairs altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭josip

Thanks all, the cost of hiring for a day each year or two is starting to look fairly good compared to the cost of buying a 3 section (2.3m) €250-€300? and storing it in a smallish shed.

• Advertisement

Ah hear we are only talking grams, lets start splitting hairs altogether.

Don't go getting your panties in a bunch. :)
    I'm just giving the guy all the facts so he can make his mind up. It's a lot more than a few grams.

Personally I think rental is a better option if you only use once a year or so. (I'm guessing this so I could be wrong) Some tradesman wouldn't buy a ladder if it was only an annual thing.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Don't go getting your panties in a bunch. :)

Dont be extracting urine either, for someone like the op a triple is far more practical than a double. Much heavier as you say what are we taking about weight wise?

Dont be extracting urine either, for someone like the op a triple is far more practical than a double. Much heavier as you say what are we taking about weight wise?

I'm just poking fun. I'm not really disagreeing with you. Weight won't be much of an issue for op.

A 3 is a good bit heavier than a 2. I was just pointing that out. The weight of the ladder is a big deal if you are using it on several jobs per day. Putting it on the ladder rack and taking it down again. Again I'm guessing op won't use the ladder too much so the extra weight of the triple wouldn't bother him too much.

Advertisement