Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i need all distinctions in a Level 5 to get into a Level 8?

Options
  • 30-04-2016 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am currently doing a Fetac Level 5 course but next year i wish to go into NCI and do a level 8. there requirements are only 3 distinctions but i read somewhere that with level 8 courses regardless of what it states, 8 distinctions are required. The course in which i am applying for is 240 points.

I currently have 4 distinctions within my level 5 course from modules that don't have exams. I am yet to take my exams next week.

I am just curious if I should even get my hopes up for the level 8 course or not.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If they need 3 distinctions, this is the minimum they need. You would be cutting it fine with just the four you have at the moment. Of course it depends on supply and demand. If there are two FETAC spaces in a course and only two apply, then both will get in if they have the minimum requirements.

If there are five FETAC places on a course and fifteen people apply for them, ten of whom have eight distinctions, it is likely the places will be given to some of the eight distinction people.

There may be exceptions though, for example where the FETAC course you did is specifically to lead into the college course.

For example, if I am running a science-related course, someone with 7 distinctions and a merit in a pre-Science FETAC may be more likely to get into a course than someone with 8 distinctions in a music technology FETAC course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 monkeystudents

how about going into a level 6 course? it says no distinctions are required but do you think i still need 8? is there a better chance of me getting into it? thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are others who would know for sure but I think for level six you just need to have completed level five. The college in question should be able to give a realistic picture of how people progress with x number of distinctions.

Thank you very much. i emailed NCI today :)

sorry, just to ask.. I'm doing the level 5 in a College of Further Education and I wish to do the level 6 in NCI, the level a ccepts any major awards. Do you think I stand a chance of getting in??

• Advertisement
Advertisement