Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Networking issues on eir D1000 (Zyxel) modem

Options
  • 29-04-2016 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭

I have an eir D1000 (Zyxel) Modem and at home I use a tp-link powerline extender kit (TL-WPA281KIT). At the main eir router I have my samsung smart tv and apple tv. On the powerline network I have a wemo switch and my airprint enabled printer. I have my work desk upstairs at the powerline network and use my laptop and phone between the powerline network and main router network depending on where I am in the house. I can always access the internet. That is never a problem. Also I can connect to any device that is on the same network as my pc. e.g. I can print from upstairs because both the pc and laptop are on the powerline.

My problem is that sometimes I cannot do different things between a device on the powerline network e.g. my laptop and a device on the main router e.g. my smart tv. It stops working the other way round too e.g trying to print from my laptop on the main router to the printer on the powerline network. I can't understand why different services are working sometimes and not others. I have played around with Multicast and IGMP settings but to be honest I do not know what the settings on my router should be to allow all of these services to work. I have included a diagram of the way my network is set up.

I have given the powerline extender a static route also which without it no service worked. I can also ping devices from the router and powerline extender. Sometimes there is 0% packet loss and other times the host is unreachable. I don't know what to do!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Sounds like you could have double NAT. You need to have the powerline wifi set to access point mode so you only have one subnet all using the Zyxel as gateway

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Sounds like you could have double NAT. You need to have the powerline wifi set to access point mode so you only have one subnet all using the Zyxel as gateway

I don't see many settings on the powerline adapter but I have included screenshots of different settings. There are a lot of different setting on the zyxel router which I would say is more the problem. There just isnt really anything to set up on the powerline. Can you let me know if you spot anything that could be the problem?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its broadcast blocking on the TPlink adapters.

If IGMP is disabled on the D1000 enabled it.
    After that ensure the 281s are updated to the lastest firmware, this permits UPnP traffic across the DLAN.

ED E wrote: »
    Its broadcast blocking on the TPlink adapters.

If IGMP is disabled on the D1000 enabled it.
    After that ensure the 281s are updated to the lastest firmware, this permits UPnP traffic across the DLAN.

IGMP is enabled and both devices are updated to the latest version. I really don't know what else I can do!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you cant get the UPnP broadcasts across them then probably replace them.

Argos have a nice 30 day change of mind option, maybe grab some Devolo or Netgear ones and see if they permit the frames.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    If you cant get the UPnP broadcasts across them then probably replace them.

Argos have a nice 30 day change of mind option, maybe grab some Devolo or Netgear ones and see if they permit the frames.

Is AirPrint, Smart View (for samsung smart tv mirroring) and normal wireless printing all to do with UPnP? I can get the smart tv thing to work across the network without trouble now since changing the settings but no luck with the normal wireless printing yet!

Advertisement