Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shutter speed.

Options
  • 29-04-2016 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭

I cant find a newbies section for basic questions, does one exist ?

Anyway, quick newbie question.

When the camera is in auto and lets say the auto shutter speed is 1/500 when i take a pic the mirror snaps out of the way very fast/shutter opening.

When in manual and i replicate aperture and shutter speed to what they were in auto it seems to take the mirror a lot lot longer to snap back/shutter open, thus creating more blur.

Why is this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

It shouldn't be the case. If the shutter speed in auto is 1/500 and you're choosing that same shutter speed in manual then the shutter will open and the mirror will flick out of the way for precisely the same length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Hello Oleras,

there should be no difference in the mirror speed assuming you're using the same shutter speed in both cases.

Is mirror lockup enabled or disabled?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Daire got there first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Thanks for the quick replies.

I think maybe whats happening is when in Auto, I depress the shutter button and the mirror flicks up shutter opens and closes and mirror flips down while still depressed. When in Manual, when the shutter button is depressed the mirror flips up, shutter opens then closes but the mirror does not flip back untill the shutter button is released, which had me thinking it was taking longer.

Does the above make sense ?

oleras wrote: »
    Does the above make sense ?

Not really, unless you have the camera in 'bulb' or 'B' mode which typically, on most cameras, keeps the shutter open for as long as you hold down the shutter button. I can't think of any camera that would behave as you described if you had the shutter speed set to something like 1/500

• Advertisement

Not really, unless you have the camera in 'bulb' or 'B' mode which typically, on most cameras, keeps the shutter open for as long as you hold down the shutter button. I can't think of any camera that would behave as you described if you had the shutter speed set to something like 1/500

Just by writing it down has me thinking it through properly.

What is happening is the mirror is not automatically going home when in any of the manual modes, you have to release the shutter button, this was confusing me to think it was the shutter closing i think. The blur must be in my head.

Here is another question, its a d3300 i have, the only way i can get continuous shooting is in sport mode, is there a setting i can adjust to get this in manual also ?

"Silent mode"

http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/51887/why-is-my-nikon-d300-slow-to-respond-to-shutter-press-regardless-of-shutter-spee
    D300 but your camera probably has the same feature
    Two other possibilities are mirror lockup (Mup on the shutter release dial) and quiet/silent mode.
    With silent mode, holding down the shutter release takes the shot, but delays returning the mirror until you release the button.

That was it, it was in silent mode instead of single shot.

Thanks a million !

I will have lots more questions no doubt.

Advertisement