Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion for a birthday present

Options
  • 29-04-2016 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm looking for a nice watch for my partner as a surprise for his birthday but if I am honest i haven't a clue about watches,prices and whats good and whats not good...

He like a traditional look with brown leather straps.

anyone able to help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Tissot Visodate?
    T019_430_16_031_01.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Probably best to set some target for spending, you can get a nice watch for someone from around 100 euros (though it will be an internet purchase), bit easier around 300 to 400, and your options really open up at around 1,000... Eoin's suggestion of the Tissot is obviously a good one, good brand and reputation and very classic look - you'll be able to see them "in the flesh" in most good watch shops.

I'd also recommend looking at Certina watches, you can see them in Appleby's off Grafton street or in Arnotts, there's a few different styles that might meet your requirements and they are, in general, very well made and offer high value for money - you should be looking at 250 to 400 for a classic dress style in Certina, eg:
    http://www.appleby.ie/certina/ds-caimano/10061806

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

How old is he, not being nosey, if it is a special birthday it's possible to get a vintage watch made the year he was born.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

art wrote: »
    I'd also recommend looking at Certina watches, you can see them in Appleby's off Grafton street or in Arnotts, there's a few different styles that might meet your requirements and they are, in general, very well made and offer high value for money - you should be looking at 250 to 400 for a classic dress style in Certina, eg:
    http://www.appleby.ie/certina/ds-caimano/10061806
    yes,
    some nice Certina and Hamilton ones in Arnotts
    http://www.arnotts.ie/categories/jewellery-watches/870750/?uda_gender=men,mens,unisex&view=all-page

a Baume & Mercier would do me nicely;)

a Longines would work a treat as well
    http://weirandsons.ie/brands/watch-brands/gts-longines-auto-conquest-sil-col-dl-bts-blk-stp-wh.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

what kind of budget are you thinking if your thinking of working on a reasonable budget i like these

Maybe a Seiko Alpinist Sarb017 just picked one up myself beautiful watch
    img10032738771.jpg
    IMG_1654.jpg

or a dressier Seiko Sarb033
    003-wrist.jpg

lower end tissot and Hamilton would be nice too for similar money or a little more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

That Sarb017 is gorgeous

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    That Sarb017 is gorgeous

thanks . very happy with mine . a recent addition to the collection

imme wrote: »

i got that exact one for my father for his 60th . his is only 4 years old and the glass is wrecked on it , scratches very easily which doesnt make sense as its supposed to be sapphire glass. lovely watch just something to keep in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

if you are near Kildare Village they have a good Hamilton & Certina range of watches in Hour Passion and prices are very good

You'll get a feel for size of watch aswell

Advertisement