Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for decorative family tree

Options
  • 29-04-2016 8:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a decorative family tree template that I could frame and hang on a wall. Something like this, but in colour, and with the option to type the ancestry into the template and then order the print. Ideally it would go back 6-8 generations.

Would appreciate any tips.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Have you asked the etsy shop if they will do a special order for what you want? That's usually a feature of etsy, which is a great site.

Genealogy Forum Mod

That etsy is a minefield of family tree goodies...danger!

Has anyone ever done a family tree mural on their wall? Or is that too much of a commitment? I'm going to be repainting some rooms in the next few months, and am considering a tree mural. I like to have my personality and interests represented on my walls and apart from family photos, this major one is not. It would be a basic tree outline with just names and year dates where I have them - probably just go to gg grandparents, because I have almost all of their details.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

pinkypinky wrote:
    Has anyone ever done a family tree mural on their wall? Or is that too much of a commitment?

I'd love to do the same but the other half isn't keen, which is fair enough. :D

Ah yes, this is where not having consult another person is preferable.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

I spoke with a Jordanian fellow two weeks ago and he told me Arabs often have a mural in the home.

Anyway, did anyone find a nice style on etsy? I''d never heard of that site until today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

mod9maple wrote: »
    I'd love to do the same but the other half isn't keen, which is fair enough. :D

My other half wouldn't mind but the first cousins marrying would make a mess of it!:P

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Personally I think I'd rather pay a Calligrapher to do the job, and maybe the calligraphers at http://www.calligraphy.ie/ might be able to assist you in sourcing a good visual family tree. I'm sure they must get this kind of request regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It seems very ‘American’ to me. I could understand the notion of a painted wall-tree in the office of a genealogist, but elsewhere it would be a little eccentric?

I never saw a painted tree in the Middle East, but I’ve seen one in the entrance hall of an old house in Wales, where it was a simple snake-like vine, showing simple male descent, with the odd female and many “ap William” and “ap Alun” names – from memory it finished in the 1800’s.

Some trophy hunters mount heads with inscriptions ‘Ibex – Morocco; 3 hr.stalk. 175metres.' You could do something like 'GGAunt Agath - Limerick; 2yr search. Parish register, Clare.' and then display like the attached. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

You could also look at getting a tree with images printed, and 'wall papered' - we've a few like that in the office...
    384680.jpg

Advertisement