Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places with good tips for waiters in Dublin?

Options
  • 29-04-2016 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm a waiter and currently in a job where the managers get a large portion of the tips. On a busy night in my work I was earning around 40-50 euro a night tips during the Christmas period, and around 25-30 now. Does anyone know places where they are better that are better than this?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mod: moved to Dublin City, new forum applies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anywhere that solely targets Americans that think waiters aren't paid already. Tipping is not part of Irish culture

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Obc wrote: »
    I'm a waiter and currently in a job where the managers get a large portion of the tips. On a busy night in my work I was earning around 40-50 euro a night tips during the Christmas period, and around 25-30 now. Does anyone know places where they are better that are better than this?

haven't got an answer for you i'm afraid, but the bolded bit is absolutely scandalous!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Would a higher establishment / dearer restaurant also dictate better tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Shannon Control

Obc wrote: »

This is not legal. It's very rarely done, and managers presume the employees will not take any legal action up against them. I had the same issue in a cafe in Galway city. Americans were tipping maybe €3/4 per table, and the manager took it all. After a number of us brought it up, they changed the policy. The tip is for you, and your manager taking it is the very basic definition of stealing because you are tipped, not your manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This is not legal. It's very rarely done, and managers presume the employees will not take any legal action up against them. I had the same issue in a cafe in Galway city. Americans were tipping maybe €3/4 per table, and the manager took it all. After a number of us brought it up, they changed the policy. The tip is for you, and your manager taking it is the very basic definition of stealing because you are tipped, not your manager.

According to what law isn't it legal?

The tip is for all the staff who contributed to the experience - that includes the chef, kp, cleaner, manager as well as the pretty face who took the orders.

Some places choose to pay tips as a variable amount but through payroll, to ensure that their staff are tax compliant. Others choose to incorporate tips in their hourly rate - effectively the manager is taking the risk of affordability.

The only way it becomes illegal is if someone gets less than minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Would advise Shanahans on the Green restaurant as they have a lot of American customers who dine there from the surrounding 5 star hotels in the area. They're not short a couple of quid so I'd say the tips would be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Whatever about legal that is a separate argument I am pretty sure it is not very moral. I have never tipped a member of staff in any situation where I expected the tip to be bumped up the line to management for them to decide what to do with it. If I tip someone it is to thank THEM for their attention and good service and I think 99.99% of people would surely be of the same view when they tip a member of staff. If I wanted to tip the chef I'd have an envelope sent to the kitchen.. if I wanted to tip the manager I'd stuff an envelope in his top pocket and squeeze his cheeks on the way out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

The tip is for all the staff who contributed to the experience - that includes the chef, kp, cleaner, manager as well as the pretty face who took the orders.

Some places choose to pay tips as a variable amount but through payroll, to ensure that their staff are tax compliant. Others choose to incorporate tips in their hourly rate - effectively the manager is taking the risk of affordability.

It is immoral. It is actually illegal in a lot of states in the US such as California. I dont know if you know anything about the restaurant industry. Managers get paid significantly more than the employees. I have worked in bars, where the the Managers didnt get any tips as they were on 2/3 times the amount of the bar tenders. Why should a manager on 3 times the wages of waiter get a share of the tips? They are paid generously for their job and shouldnt get anymore.

It is the responsibly of the employee to be tax compliant. If my tax credits are wrong, it is up to me to fix that. Likewise an employer should be taking tips off employees to ensure they are tax compliant. That is not their job under the law

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Which cheeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Strumms wrote: »
    If I wanted to tip the chef I'd have an envelope sent to the kitchen.

Well buddy, a lot of establishments split tips with the chefs in the kitchen because they appreciate that without the work they do, there wouldn't be a business and the waiting staff wouldn't have anything to carry to your table.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,572 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

L1011 wrote: »
    Anywhere that solely targets Americans that think waiters aren't paid already. Tipping is not part of Irish culture

Dubliners usually tip and have done for a long time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Dubliners usually tip and have done for a long time.

Not to the extent the OP is looking for.

I tip if the service is good. Americans tip in almost every circumstance except possibly if you mooned them and spat in their food in front of them (and you might still get "just 10%" then)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

There have been a number of cases in England & Wales over the years and, absent any statute on the matter, those cases give a reasonable indication of the arguments and possibly decision of an Irish court - "common law" being common after all.

Cash tips left on a table for a staff member to pick up are the property of that staff member. Cash tips put in a communal dish or box are the property of the staff as a whole. Service charges are the property of the business as are credit card tips.

Many restaurants will operate a tronc system to share cash tips (and some or all of the service charge) amongst the staff. Staff cannot be forced to pool tips although where pooling is done, it would be a brave person who refused to participate (especially during their initial employment period).

In order to avoid PRSI issues, the tronc would generally be administered by a member of staff but not the owner or manager.
    If you don't want to share your tips, make a stand but be cognisant of the likely consequences.

On the tax front I actually remember that Pizza Hut's in the UK have in the small print that credit card tips are given via payroll and a tacit encouragement to use cash instead. I assume that in most cases they never get to the waiter at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,572 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Not to the extent the OP is looking for.

I tip if the service is good. Americans tip in almost every circumstance except possibly if you mooned them and spat in their food in front of them (and you might still get "just 10%" then)

Still... Dubliners usually tip. You said tipping isn't part of Irish culture. That's clearly not the case in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

PLL wrote:
    Well buddy, a lot of establishments split tips with the chefs in the kitchen because they appreciate that without the work they do, there wouldn't be a business and the waiting staff wouldn't have anything to carry to your table.

When I lived in the states wait staff would "tip out" at the end of the shift, ie give a portion of their tips to the bus boys and kitchen staff

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

jd wrote: »
    When I lived in the states wait staff would "tip out" at the end of the shift, ie give a portion of their tips to the bus boys and kitchen staff

Same here, when I waitressed in the USA, we had to tip out to the busboys and bar staff. You were expected to tip out more to the bar if you had a lot of drink orders.

Brilliant way for the restaurant industry to avoid paying staff, customers pay waiters through tips and waiters then have to pay other staff. All while paying waiters way below minimum wage (in the 90s, I was making $2.13 an hour as a waitress).

Mad how that's legal, customers pay enough for food and drink, they shouldn't have to pay staff wages on top of that, but with the way the system is set up, that's what's expected.

............Tipping is not part of Irish culture

I think tipping staff in restaurants is certainly not uncommon.
    Now it's completely acceptable not to of course, unlike the US.

I'd rarely have a meal out and not tip, I'd eat out once a week generally.

I'd also tip taxi drivers but I rarely get a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭trellheim

As someone who eats out a bit in restaurants in Dublin the usual is 10% no more , cash if I can , its never been refused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

As someone who worked in reasonably fine dining restaurants in Dublin, it is highly unusual for Irish people not tip between 10-15%. All tips were pooled and 5% taken out for kitchen staff.

I was in the kitchen so only received an envelope when our tips built up - maybe €100 every 6 weeks.

Advertisement