Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEWSFLASH!

Options
  • 28-04-2016 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭

Back in the days before rolling news stations, these were a regular enough event. They usually lasted less than a minute and only contained the most basic facts.

Unfortunately outside of the collapse of Government, my memory of the actual topics is almost non existent.

The only one I can remember with any clarity is the Challenger Shuttle disaster, this story broke around five in the evening.
    Very sketchy memories of hunger strikers dieing and the Pope being shot.

Any other memories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Lockerbie is the one that comes to mind . I was waiting for the Alas Smith and Jones Christmas Special to start at 9pm when this came on

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/20?adv=0&q=alas+sage+and+onion&media=all&yf=1923&yt=2009&mf=1&mt=12&tf=00%3A00&tt=00%3A00#search

There was a good documentary on ITV a few years ago featuring some of their newsflashes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Interesting,this is something that crosses my mind occasionally over the years and the fact that you never see them any more on the terrestrial channels.We only had RTE growing up and I remember that when a newsflash came on it was a big deal,but I'm finding it hard too to remember what the actual stories were.I'm almost certain one of the ones I saw was for the Air India crash in 85.The one thing I'm positive about though is the very last time I remember seeing a newsflash on a terrestrial station was announcing the death of Princess Diana in 97,on RTE.From that stage on I suppose they were phased out with the changes in news reporting and 24 Hour news channels

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Last I ever saw was for the first resumption of the Stormont assembly in 99 or so. Agreement reached in the middle of the night and there was a Grand Prix on late so they knew there'd be some audience up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,397 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

911 was a newsflash that I remember. Especially as it was so early in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I remember one when pope john paul 2nd was shot it must have been the early 80's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I remember on UTV that had these Key-holder flashes, this was when Belfast was been bombed all the time

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

the most famous newsflash of all time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Back in the days before rolling news stations, these were a regular enough event. They usually lasted less than a minute and only contained the most basic facts.

The only one I can remember with any clarity is the Challenger Shuttle disaster, this story broke around five in the evening.

I remember that. I always thought it was during Blue Peter but apparently I was wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

This was my first exposure to the NewsFlash:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

I remember a couple of newsflashes on RTE in the '80s - one on a Saturday morning just before Anything Goes (seizure of the Marita Ann gunrunning boat), and another just after Top of the Pops one Thursday evening (dissolution of the Dail).

A newsflash was such a huge thing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Princess Diana car crash scrolling along the bottom of Nickelodeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The last newsflash I've seen for a non scheduled news event was when Nelson Mandela died 3 years ago. Announced around 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i remember one when the Irish punt was devalued against sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

OU812 wrote: »
    This was my first exposure to the NewsFlash:

Mine too! :pac:

Back in the 70s my Dad worked shifts in a Mill and we had been keeping him awake playing in the living room, so as punishment he turned the volume down on the TV, which was out of reach for us kids.
    A few minutes later, the Sesame Street News flash logo came on and he rushed to turn it up, result! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Assassination of Yitzhak Rabin was a newsflash on RTE.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I remember the Newsflash of the IRA Bombing of Canary Warf.

Dont remember another one till 9-11

Advertisement