Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap hosting with SSH access

Options
  • 28-04-2016 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello,

Anyone know of some reliable, cheap hosting based in Ireland that gives SSH access?

Thanks,

Edwin
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Long standing boards rules means we can't discuss specific hosting providers.

Your best bet is to search for hosting providers that offer dedicated VMs. There's plenty out there starting at $5 month (maybe slightly more for an Ireland based server). As the VM is dedicated, SSH etc is your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

kalamazoo wrote: »
    Anyone know of some reliable, cheap hosting based in Ireland that gives SSH access?

If you want cheap, then search lowendbox.com which is a news aggregator site for cheap cheap VPSs. Here are the search results for Ireland (one entry): https://lowendbox.com/?s=ireland&searchsubmit=Find. I'd suggest you drop the requirement for Ireland and merely require a Euro charging European country.

If you want reliable, those providers who win the quarterly lowendbox.com user poll tend to be not bad. I have a few VPSs with those in the top ten, and I cannot complain about anything at all after several years of rental at $15/year.

But let's be clear, you won't get better than 99.5% reliability with SLA from any provider charging less than a few hundred per month. Reliability costs money, and either you implement failover by hand using many VPSs or you pay someone to implement failover for you.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ogogo

Amazon AWS nano instances US$3.65 / Month
    micro US$7.30 / Month

Not traditional hosting as such but you can easily fire up a webserver.

Doesn't get much cheaper than that - @14ned has a point though, cheap is one thing but you either need to pay someone to make it reliable or build it out yourself to be so.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Ogogo wrote: »
    Amazon AWS nano instances US$3.65 / Month
    micro US$7.30 / Month

I should mention that particular cloud provider is a "premium" cloud provider charging towards the upper end of the price bracket. They also offer a free account for low usage instances, as do the other major providers.

There are other providers charging a fraction of the three most well known names. One of the largest in the world and easily the largest in Europe is a very famous French outfit who have offices in Ireland, but you'd call them the "Ryanair" of server hosting in terms of the customer service versus price tradeiff. That said, I've been a customer of theirs nearly ten years, and for the price the service is acceptable, indeed they achieved a surprising 99.99% uptime from worldwide locations these last two years as empirically determined by my per minute probes. That's on their very cheapest dedicated server which is €15/month ex VAT.

Be aware if you go with them that when a hard drive starts to fail, they tend to swap it immediately, no time for you to back up. With RAID configs they have a habit of swapping the non-failing drive sometimes. They run with very low margins, no time for any hand holding, if you aren't running live offsite backup it's 100% on you for data loss, and you'll get zero sympathy from customer support.

Niall

Advertisement