Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club vs. County ??

Options
  • 28-04-2016 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Just came across this post and it raised a lot of points that our local club seems to suffer with.

http://t.co/asIrRKPFfA

Clubs and the players are treated like second rate teams at times and trying to keep people training during a long summer gets harder every year.

Is it the case of most clubs or are we in the minority? The way the game is going it will resemble Australian rules more than the traditional game I love.

I'd love to know if I am in the minority in agreeing with some of the points raised.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Good teams play good exciting football - bad teams try to stop them.

When was that any different?

Gaelic football is as good or bad to watch as it ever was. Depending on who is playing.

Regarding the club issue, there is certainly a point regarding games being delayed and so on. Again, the most successful counties - Kilkenny, Kerry, Dublin etc seem to be able to organise most games pretty well around a demanding county schedule. Dublin SFC begins tonight, senior leagues continue during Summer, and championships will resume at QF stage when county teams are finished.

I think the Waterford football championship was last to conclude last year? Hard to blame that on any external factors!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭King_of_Kingz

I think it's more the effect it is having on the club game I'm reading into as opposed to county teams, where there will always be that cut throat feeling to the games.

Regarding championship formats I think it is all well and good pointing to Dublin etc who, if they gain an injury, can just plug the next man in and not miss too much.

This isn't the case for smaller counties granted but there should be some form of streamlined club system in my view, or as close to that as possible. Can't have club championships devalued to the extent where players aren't taking them seriously for fear of irking the county set up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Regarding championship formats I think it is all well and good pointing to Dublin etc who, if they gain an injury, can just plug the next man in and not miss too much.

Some of the points raised were aimed at lads not showing up for their club teams. That certainly happens in Dublin too. You might head out to watch a club game and expect to see their intercounty players but in some cases you won't see them unless it's a championship game

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭King_of_Kingz

Stoner wrote: »
    Some of the points raised were aimed at lads not showing up for their club teams. That certainly happens in Dublin too. You might head out to watch a club game and expect to see their intercounty players but in some cases you won't see them unless it's a championship game

I know at home there is a player that was named in a team for the National League that had not lined out for his club team in 15 months, that is an unacceptable precedent to set!

Advertisement