Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blarney Golf Resort

Options
  • 28-04-2016 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭

Heading to Cork in a few weeks for a meetup of old friends..

We were having a gander at a number of courses down around the City. I used to live down there and I remember something about John Daly designing a course in Blarney... I presume that this is now the Blarney Golf Resort..

Obviously we're looking around at the usuals Fota, Cork Golf, Lee Valley etc but this Blarney resort is dirt cheap for green fees... And as it's a casual day out, even a reasonably decent trek at 20 per head would probably be sufficient.

Anyone got any opinions on it?

Now we are used to decent courses - we're not interested in an Elm Green type over and back bore fest

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

lawred2 wrote: »

We were having a gander at a number of courses down around the City. I used to live down there and I remember something about John Daly designing a course in Blarney... I presume that this is now the Blarney Golf Resort..

Obviously we're looking around at the usuals Fota, Cork Golf, Lee Valley etc but this Blarney resort is dirt cheap for green fees... And as it's a casual day out, even a reasonably decent trek at 20 per head would probably be sufficient.

Now we are used to decent courses - we're not interested in an Elm Green type over and back bore fest

I played it yrs ago. There's a reason it's dirt cheap imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Tilikum wrote: »

I played it yrs ago. There's a reason it's dirt cheap imo.

Big fat meh?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Big fat meh?

Its awful.

lol

case closed then

Maybe Castlemartyr is a better option. Fota and Cork GC have no availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Its awful.

Is that a little harsh?

I played it 2+ years ago and its obviously not in the same league as the big boys but the back 9 in particular I remember as being pretty nice and a good test of golf.

Maybe its gone downhill completely since then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Surprised at the reaction I have to say
    Castlemartyr is definitely a better option but awful is very strong.

Interested to hear why you think its awful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭big_drive

Certainly no way is it awful, there's a lot of poorer courses around it I think. Its as good value as you'll find in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Its awful.

One could say that about your old haunt just over the road from Blarney GC too, but then that could be construed as being ignorant and unhelpful!!!.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Let's not make this personal.

One liner on a course also isn't fair to a course. A bit of detail goes a long way!

One could say that about your old haunt just over the road from Blarney GC too, but then that could be construed as being ignorant and unhelpful!!!.

Current haunt, and future haunt.
    Based on, atmosphere, condition, layout, location, facilities i am entitled to give my opinion. In my error i should have given the above details.

Ignorant im not, honest i am.

• Advertisement

I have no dog in this fight as not from or living in the area and have played both a few times but I would say re Blarney

condition : usually at least good
    facilities: putting green and nets to hit into (which have seen better days) so could definitely do more here.
    layout: few walks between tees but nothing too bad. No issue with course routing
    atmosphere: can't say

Overall I think awful is way too harsh. It's not top end but it's a test and in good condition so I wouldn't be putting people off it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Whenever I see "Blarney Golf" it reminds me of the other course they sold to build houses. It's where I learned to play golf and I think it had only been open for 10 years or so, seemed to be maturing quite nicely.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Whenever I see "Blarney Golf" it reminds me of the other course they sold to build houses. It's where I learned to play golf and I think it had only been open for 10 years or so, seemed to be maturing quite nicely.

I think I played there - walked off after about 5 holes. Hated it.

alxmorgan wrote: »
    I have no dog in this fight as not from or living in the area and have played both a few times but I would say re Blarney

condition : usually at least good
    facilities: putting green and nets to hit into (which have seen better days) so could definitely do more here.
    layout: few walks between tees but nothing too bad. No issue with course routing
    atmosphere: can't say

Overall I think awful is way too harsh. It's not top end but it's a test and in good condition so I wouldn't be putting people off it

Agree with all this.Bottom half of course can get a little wet I think and couple of funny holes(by design i think by Daly at the time) but awful is way too harsh. In its Sunday best i think it easily sits in a box with Mallow,Muskerry, etc and those 'B' rate courses

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Current haunt, and future haunt.
    Based on, atmosphere, condition, layout, location, facilities i am entitled to give my opinion. In my error i should have given the above details.

Ignorant im not, honest i am.

Insert biased for honest and nail firmly on head.
    Still not sure how you think slating another local course is going to make you look anything other than not so clever.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Still not sure how you think slating another local course is going to make you look anything other than not so clever.
    Going to share your opinion of the course or attack other posters?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

I'm not a fan of the course myself but i wouldnt say its awful. Of the courses in the area i'd prefer Lee Valley, Muskerry, Macroom, Bandon over it

Whats the point in giving an opinion if when someone disagrees they get attacked?
    Isn't the point of an opinion to give ones personal outlook on the question in hand?
    I addressed the vagueness of my first post with a 2nd explanatory post as was asked. Yet you still go on the attack?

I'm not derailing the thread any further, if you disagree with an opinion disagree with the opinion as opposed to attacking the poster.

Have a great weekend.

Whats the point in giving an opinion if when someone disagrees they get attacked?
    Isn't the point of an opinion to give ones personal outlook on the question in hand?
    I addressed the vagueness of my first post with a 2nd explanatory post as was asked. Yet you still go on the attack?

I'm not derailing the thread any further, if you disagree with an opinion disagree with the opinion as opposed to attacking the poster.

Have a great weekend.

Sorry Gorfield but the second post was just as vague as the first.You just listed categories!? in an effort to wiggle out of the original comment.

I'm not a member and have not played the course in a while but the run of holes from 11/12 to the finish is very good and a great test of golf.From a Cork perspective and pure playability rating its easily up there with Mallow, Bandon, Monkstown, Charleville, Mitchelstown, Muskerry and Waterrock.

I think maybe it gets unfairly treated as it was a Daly design and maybe had some delusions of grandeur back in the day.

In the context of local cork golf your first low ball comment was a disgrace in my opinion and we would expect more from someone of your apparent (albeit fading) standing in the game. It was cowardly and I'll take a slap in the wrist for saying that (Sorry in advance Keano)

Coming back to this having thought more about it.....I think the use of the word awful is way over the top and you should consider taking it back.

I would consider awful as being a field somewhere, poorly maintained, with holes that go back and forth offering no interest, variety or challenge to the player.

I cannot see how you could say anything like that about Blarney. Even holes like the 6th which are short and straight up (if you avoid going right) have tough greens with large slopes offering a challenge.

Out of interest what other courses around Cork or even Ireland would you also consider awful as a comparison point ?

• Advertisement

20 posts and 2 mod warnings...I'm locking this

Domo1982 wrote: »
    Sorry Gorfield but the second post was just as vague as the first.You just listed categories!? in an effort to wiggle out of the original comment.

I'm not a member and have not played the course in a while but the run of holes from 11/12 to the finish is very good and a great test of golf.From a Cork perspective and pure playability rating its easily up there with Mallow, Bandon, Monkstown, Charleville, Mitchelstown, Muskerry and Waterrock.

I think maybe it gets unfairly treated as it was a Daly design and maybe had some delusions of grandeur back in the day.

In the context of local cork golf your first low ball comment was a disgrace in my opinion and we would expect more from someone of your apparent (albeit fading) standing in the game. It was cowardly and I'll take a slap in the wrist for saying that (Sorry in advance Keano)

The OP mentioned it in opposition to playing Fota, Cork, Lee valley, compared to those my opinion would be its awful by comparison.
    Based on the times ive played it, ive formed that opinion, i cant help it if you disagree tbh.

You would expect more from someone of my standing??? Im an amateur golfer like everyone on here, i have no greater standing than anyone, so maybe you have the problem like so may do with low hcap players?? Thanks for reminding me of my fading standing in the game, it coincides with my fading degenerative back problem, im happy enough with my lot in golf tbh.

If anyone has been offended by me giving an honest opinion i apologise.

I can't understand the hullaboloo about one person's opinion of a golf course..

For the record; we've booked Lee Valley.

One of the lads didn't want to go to Castlemartyr as he got married there and hasn't been back since. He wants the next time he goes there to be with his wife.

The massive sap.

(I'm joking :))

For the record; we've booked Lee Valley.

One of the lads didn't want to go to Castlemartyr as he got married there and hasn't been back since. He wants the next time he goes there to be with his wife.

The massive sap.

You'll be well looked after in Lee valley anyway, great views, enjoyable course and good food after!

You'll be well looked after in Lee valley anyway, great views, enjoyable course and good food after!

Agreed...Stay right off the tee on 18.Especially if you have a good round going

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Right lads, quit it please

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭recycled

Their are pluses and minuses for every track

Muskerry in the past had the main road on the old 4th and the water issues in the old 5th. The new changes are great, and the track has always been in good condition with very good greens.
    Too many climbs for my liking from the 6th on- but a good course, a good test in the finishing holes.

Lee valley - maturing nicely and very dry given the amount of water we had recent months. A few of the greens are the Achilles heel for me, The 2nd, 16th, the 18th , I could live with the 9th. I have a dislike for a green with such a slope that with a long putt you can leave the green(on in 2 off in 3)
    Overall a good course in good condition.

Blarney - Young course . In its initial layout it had a silly par 4, if I can recall it was the 7th?. That has been replaced with a good par 3. They still have a silly index 1 par 4 with water protecting a very narrow green. Anytime you hit the green(usually in the 200 yds length) you invariably go out the back and can loose your ball. (Where is the sporting chance? who going to take on the water for no reward!!)

In my view the front 9 is a stiffer test then the back 9. As value goes its hard to beat, you get to use all your clubs.

Any of these are enjoyable tracks to play. The criteria when making the selection for me is picking a course that is not too busy when I want to play. I do not enjoy playing bunched in behind a 4 ball or society etc...

Play them all and make your own mind up , it can all be subjective to your individual personal taste , like selecting your clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Break80

The OP mentioned it in opposition to playing Fota, Cork, Lee valley, compared to those my opinion would be its awful by comparison.
    Based on the times ive played it, ive formed that opinion, i cant help it if you disagree tbh.

You would expect more from someone of my standing??? Im an amateur golfer like everyone on here, i have no greater standing than anyone, so maybe you have the problem like so may do with low hcap players?? Thanks for reminding me of my fading standing in the game, it coincides with my fading degenerative back problem, im happy enough with my lot in golf tbh.

If anyone has been offended by me giving an honest opinion i apologise.
    As a member of Blarney Golf Club I cannot accept your apology. A 2 word comment to describe a local club is just plain nasty. Please point out our failings so we can work hard to rectify them before your next visit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Break80 wrote: »
    As a member of Blarney Golf Club I cannot accept your apology. A 2 word comment to describe a local club is just plain nasty. Please point out our failings so we can work hard to rectify them before your next visit.

The man played the course and didn't like it. I've played a few courses and haven't like them, we all have. As this is your own course, understandably you don't want to hear any negative comments on it but remember everybody doesn't like every course for one reason or another. Nothing we can do about it, courses can't please everyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement