Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unclaimed Flat Rate Expenses - Gross Relief Due

Options
  • 28-04-2016 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

So basically I got my password for that ROS PAYE Anytime online thing the other day and had a look through and saw that I had 'Flat Rate Expenses' unclaimed.

So I clicked entered in the professions I was working in both of those years and hit calculate on both.

Then I saw a few hundred quid under a heading of "Gross Relief Due" and then it went on to ask me for my bank details.

So I had assumed that I'd be getting some money back, Great!, but having a look online I was reading that this is just a tax relief so basically I don't get anything.

Anyone who could clear this up for me it would very much be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

So basically I got my password for that ROS PAYE Anytime online thing the other day and had a look through and saw that I had 'Flat Rate Expenses' unclaimed.

So I clicked entered in the professions I was working in both of those years and hit calculate on both.

Then I saw a few hundred quid under a heading of "Gross Relief Due" and then it went on to ask me for my bank details.

So I had assumed that I'd be getting some money back, Great!, but having a look online I was reading that this is just a tax relief so basically I don't get anything.

Anyone who could clear this up for me it would very much be appreciated.

Thanks.

did you pay tax in those years?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 OisinCampbell

Yeah - Paid the usual PAYE, PRSI and USC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Yeah - Paid the usual PAYE, PRSI and USC.

well a tax relief means you can get back tax (PAYE) you paid

Okay - So you reckon I shall be receiving that few hundred quid into my account then in the next while?

From what I read it wasn't very clear if you get it back or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Okay - So you reckon I shall be receiving that few hundred quid into my account then in the next while?

From what I read it wasn't very clear if you get it back or not.

What do you think tax credit/tax reliefs are?

Claiming additional tax reliefs or credits for an active tax year (2016)will reduce your tax liability for 2016. Translation: if you click 2016 tab and claim flats expenses for 2016, that will reduce the paye you have to pay for 2016 and may result in a small refund through your wages.

Claiming additional tax reliefs or credits for prior tax years may result in a refund of PAYE for those years if by applying those credits/reliefs it is determined that you overpaid tax. Translation: if you paid PAYE during a prior tax year and you claim an additional tax credit or relief for that year, you should get a refund from Revenue.

Also for tax credits/reliefs purposes, PRSI and USC aren't treated as tax.

• Advertisement

I honestly have no idea about tax relief or anything like that.

I had an assumption that it might have been a case "oh well you had the opportunity to claim a tax relief but didn't so your lose" kind of situation.

So I should be getting this money back then?

I honestly have no idea about tax relief or anything like that.

I had an assumption that it might have been a case "oh well you had the opportunity to claim a tax relief but didn't so your lose" kind of situation.

So I should be getting this money back then?

If you were in the same employment in the claim years and not swapping jobs, then you should have paid the correct amount of tax for those years. By claiming the relief you "should" be due a refund of PAYE relating to the relief after those tax years have been reviewed.

You will get P21 balancing statements explaining how the reviews were carried out and if a refund is due.

In 2012 I was in the one employment then in 2013 I was in the employment from 2012 and then a new employment in 2013.

In 2012 I was in the one employment then in 2013 I was in the employment from 2012 and then a new employment in 2013.

Usually you have paid the correct amount of tax in any given year under the PAYE system but occasionally when you change jobs your tax can go bit astray. In those circumstances it's normally overpayments of tax that occur

The only way to know for sure is to make the claim and wait to see what happens.

Okay - I've done that so we will see.

I am just curious that if the option was there to claim is that a good sign or is the option always there if you have worked in that year.

For example nothing was there for 2015 yet I worked most of this year.

• Advertisement

Okay - I've done that so we will see.

I am just curious that if the option was there to claim is that a good sign or is the option always there if you have worked in that year.

For example nothing was there for 2015 yet I worked most of this year.

The option should always be there for you to add it. If you look in the 2015 tab, go down the page where the items are coloured blue. These are reliefs/credits you may be able to claim for 2015 if your circumstances allow.

Advertisement