Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gauging interest for a possible KI and GG event

Options
  • 27-04-2016 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. For a while now I've been thinking about hosting a KI event but was hesitant to so due to the lack of a scene in Ireland. However, due to the game now being more widely available now that it's on the PC (an excellent port which works with your sticks for the 360/PS3) I thought I might as well ask to see if there would be any interest from those in the IFGC.

After talking a bit about it with Nutrient and Keith at casuals, I was reminded of the up coming Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator release and thought it would be a pretty cool idea to have an event to host both games. Despite both games being thought highly of in the FGC, each game is usually overshadowed by the bigger franchises such as Street Fighter and Smash.

Now that Nutrient has his monster stick from Hypespotting, we have two XBO compatible sticks for a KI set up and I'm sure the GG/BB lads have the gear for a set up or 2 for GG.

I'm aware that people usually have busy schedules and thus don't really have time to practice more than one game, so to provide some incentive I'm willing to throw in at least €50 into the KI prize pot, so with what ever is raised with the entrance fee it should add up to a descent enough pot. Since me and Nutrient would be running the event we won't be entering.

As a KI fan since I was a kid, I would love to see people give the new game a shot. If anyone would be interested in learning the game whether there is enough interest to warrant a small event or not, I always bring in my XBO to Wednesday casuals after work and am always happy to go through the basics with you. If you are a SF player, you will pick up the game quickly since a lot of the fundamentals from SF4/5 will carry over, it's just learning the combo system that may be a bit weird.

Please express your thoughts to help me determine whether or not to go forward with this and thanks for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

2gen wrote: »
    Hey guys. For a while now I've been thinking about hosting a KI event but was hesitant to so due to the lack of a scene in Ireland. However, due to the game now being more widely available now that it's on the PC (an excellent port which works with your sticks for the 360/PS3) I thought I might as well ask to see if there would be any interest from those in the IFGC.

After talking a bit about it with Nutrient and Keith at casuals, I was reminded of the up coming Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator release and thought it would be a pretty cool idea to have an event to host both games. Despite both games being thought highly of in the FGC, each game is usually overshadowed by the bigger franchises such as Street Fighter and Smash.

Now that Nutrient has his monster stick from Hypespotting, we have two XBO compatible sticks for a KI set up and I'm sure the GG/BB lads have the gear for a set up or 2 for GG.

I'm aware that people usually have busy schedules and thus don't really have time to practice more than one game, so to provide some incentive I'm willing to throw in at least €50 into the KI prize pot, so with what ever is raised with the entrance fee it should add up to a descent enough pot. Since me and Nutrient would be running the event we won't be entering.

As a KI fan since I was a kid, I would love to see people give the new game a shot. If anyone would be interested in learning the game whether there is enough interest to warrant a small event or not, I always bring in my XBO to Wednesday casuals after work and am always happy to go through the basics with you. If you are a SF player, you will pick up the game quickly since a lot of the fundamentals from SF4/5 will carry over, it's just learning the combo system that may be a bit weird.

Please express your thoughts to help me determine whether or not to go forward with this and thanks for your time.

Do you want to use the AsOne Summer series as a platform to run it on may 7th?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

In general I think it'd be a nice idea to run tournies for less popular at the XGC on a regular basis, and keep events for Street Fighter and Smash at places like the Academy Plaza Hotel, ie. something a bit more fancy.

With the majority of SFV and Smash tournaments, people already pay quite a bit to enter events like the CT Qualifers at 10 euro per game. Very few people are going to be arsed with paying more money to enter other tournies that don't offer the same level of competition or winner's prizes like SFV or Smash. Having tournies in the XGC for KI, GG, etc where entry per game is from 2 - 5 euro is pretty reasonable though.

Also, The Last Blade 2 Online will also released by the time GG Revelator is out. I'll happily bring in my PS4 with a digital copy on it, if people want to try it out for a small tourney at Ben's event. It's even more obscure than KI or GG, so it's hardly going overshadow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just run it as a free side tournament on May 7th and if you want to donate to the prize fund, buy the winner a copy of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen

Just run it as a free side tournament on May 7th and if you want to donate to the prize fund, buy the winner a copy of the game.

The unfortunate reality with having a free-side at a major for a big franchise like SF is ...

1. The game you want to show case will be overshadowed by the bigger franchise which is something I want to try to avoid and

2. People will see the free side event exactly as it is... a free side event. From what I've seen in past events that I've took part in, people tend to enter free side tournaments for the "sh*ts and giggles". They may play in the first 2 rounds and then while waiting for their next match they may get distracted with the game they main and then just ask to be disqualified because they can't be arsed to continue. Their focus will be the main event, which is the tournament they payed €10 to enter which is understandable.

The thing about buying a copy of the game for the winner is that there is no physical copy of the game unless you want to get just the S1 disc. You can also just get the free version of the game. Also how many people have "the bone"?

I appreciate the suggestions and I mean no disrespect in any shape or form to anyone. I just would like to put the game I'm passionate about in the spotlight at least once before deciding to continue or call it quits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

I'd be down to enter whatever you decide to run and obviously would help on GG aspect of running things by bring console + game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Offer still stands. I think maybe introducing it at casuals might also help if not already

Advertisement