Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crows

Options
  • 27-04-2016 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭

hi all,first time posting here,i've an awful problem with crows attacking the windows in my house,i know its their reflection they are seeing which is driving them mad,this has been going on for two years now on and off,but has got a lot worse in the last week,all the window sills are covered in bird s**t and its disgusting.I've put rat traps on the window sills but this only distracts them for a while until they pull them off onto the ground.the last few days they have started attacking the car and pecking all the windows,there was even blood on the roof of it when i came home from work.An hour later i looked out the window of the house to see a crow attacking the mirror of my van,Any ideas how to get rid of them. I don't own a gun

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Sounds awful, although I doubt they are actually Crows....Jackdaws perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

My parents had a bad case of something similar to this, many years ago. In their case the shotgun had to be used to resolve in the end, unfortunately.

Sounds awful, although I doubt they are actually Crows....Jackdaws perhaps?

Jackdaws are crows.

OP, maybe a silhouette of a hawk on the window?

I have no suggest for the car :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hawk silhouettes for the widows and turn the mirrors in on the car/van.

And yes, Jackdaws are of the Crow family.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Would those spiky things used to deter pigeons work on the window sills?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Thanks for all the replies,maybe they are jackdaws.I'll try the hawk silhouettes,where would i get them,would hardware shops have them? Alun,as regards the spiky things they fly in sometimes and don't even land on the sill and just start pecking further up the window

• Registered Users Posts: 35,889 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Must be a food source close to window?
    Where is the bin?
    Move bin to different location

Thanks for all the replies,maybe they are jackdaws.I'll try the hawk silhouettes,where would i get them,would hardware shops have them? Alun,as regards the spiky things they fly in sometimes and don't even land on the sill and just start pecking further up the window

Smaller crows, black with a grey head. Very intelligent, they can make good pets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭HarrietD

I bought red hawk ones from RSPB (Royal Soc Protection of birds) website a few years ago because wagtails were tapping on my windows. They were driving me bonkers early in the morning but I'm sure nowhere near as annoying as crows. I never had problems since. Maybe also contact Bird Watch Ireland for advice

Must be a food source close to window?
    Where is the bin?
    Move bin to different location

no bin near the windows,there is no food outside the house,unless they can see food looking in the kitchen window!

• Advertisement

Smaller crows, black with a grey head. Very intelligent, they can make good pets :)

i should be so lucky to have so many pets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Are they attacking their own reflection?

recedite wrote: »
    Are they attacking their own reflection?

yeah i'd say so

Advertisement