Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In a fibre area but told we can't get fibre

Options
  • 27-04-2016 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All,
    I wonder could I get some opinions on our situation with trying to get fibre broadband. 6 weeks after first contacting Sky to move our services from our old house to our new house and the broadband still isn't setup.

After a number of issues with ducting etc. a new phone line was installed by a KN engineer last Wednesday (20/04/16) and the line was activated by Sky 2 days later (22/04/16). When I rang Sky to enable the broadband, I was told that fibre was not available and that the max download speed is 12MB

So here are some more details:
    1) We live in Limerick city in an Eir fibre enabled area
    2) Before moving house, I checked if fibre was enabled at our new address on the eir website and it said it was
    3) The KN engineer said we would be on the Crossagalla exchange, which makes sense because that is the area we live in
    4) All the cabinets in the Crossagalla exchange area are fibre enabled, according to the map on OpenAir website
    5) The closest cabinet to our house (CGA1_004) is approx 400m by road (or 343m as the crow flies)
    6) The Crossagalla exchange is approx 1500m from our house by road (or 810m as the crow flies)
    7) If I put the address of all of our neighbours into the eir website, they are all eir fibre enabled

However, as I said, since the line has been installed, the eir website says we are in an "advanced broadband area" and that fibre is not available in our area. And the max speed is 12MB.

The following is the result if I put our phone number into the line checker on another broadband providers website

Exchange Code: Unknown

DSL Enabled: Yes - 12 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 12 MB

Fibre Enabled: No

LLU Enabled: No

Can anyone let me know why we might not be able to get fibre or could something have been messed up during the phone line installation?

Sky have escalated the issue with Eir as to why we can't get fibre but there has been no response from Eir yet. I know 12MB isn't bad but I'd like some good technical reasons as to why we can't get fibre when everything suggests it should be available to us and we would most likely end up paying the same price for the 12MB anyways.

Any thoughts from any broadband experts out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

- Area doesnt matter really, its a line by line basis
    - Ignore address based ratings

Scenarios:
    A. Line just hasnt been tested for eFiber yet, they're done monthly. Sky can request it manually be done.
    B. It goes via a cab thats too far away, cables can run any direction not just direct to the exchange
    C. Line goes directly to the exchange without hitting any cabs. eVDSL goes 1500m so you're likely out of range for that.

Call sky, manual prequal, assuming negative thats all you're getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 davidcoyle0

Hi ED_E,
    Thanks for the reply.

As far as I know, Sky have done the manual prequal but I'll double check with them.
    Some of our neighbours do actually have fibre too but like you said it's on a line by line basis.

It doesn't sound so promising so from what you say... i'll see what Sky come back with from their escalation from Eir but I'm expecting one of the standard "every line installation is different" sort of thing.

Thanks,
    Dave

Advertisement