Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New school in Cabra?

Options
  • 27-04-2016 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭

I'm not from the area but I use Bannow Road quite a bit and I see that there is a fine big new national school being built there.
    What's the deal? I see from the signage that it's a 'bunscoil' but not what the name of the school is.
    Is an existing school going to move up there or will it house a brand new school starting from scratch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

That's the new Cabra/Phibsborough Educate Together school. Opens in September, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Does anyone else think it's disgraceful they are building a big new school but won't build one for the school that's already operating there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

January wrote: »
    Does anyone else think it's disgraceful they are building a big new school but won't build one for the school that's already operating there?

Capacity issues? They urgently need more school spaces. Plus educate together badly needed for the vast ethnic mix in the area as well as parents who want religion kept out of the classroom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I don't know the site but is that not the new building for Gaelscoil Bharra?

A parent in the school, Colin Murphy, wrote a fascinating article in the Sunday Business Post on 14 February last, this one, saying how for decades they've been campaigning for a real building (they're in the prefabs in the GAA club since 1996, despite roofs collapsing, numerous health and safety reports and the like) and got another pfo from the Department at the start of the year.

However, when the election was called in February Joe Costello and Paschal Donohoe, whose seats were under pressure, got the Department of Education to release the funds to finally build a new school. If that article can be viewed for free online it's an eye-opener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The gaelscoil is being built on their current site.
    The new school on bannow is educate together to open up in September.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

athtrasna wrote: »
    parents who want religion kept out of the classroom

hear hear

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Been on the site a few times. Been built by the same company that do the "modular units" for Dublin city council and recently completed the houses in poppintree.

Fine big site.

kceire wrote: »
    Been on the site a few times. Been built by the same company that do the "modular units" for Dublin city council and recently completed the houses in poppintree.

Fine big site.

Its the yard,of the old FAS site which is sizeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

athtrasna wrote: »
    Capacity issues? They urgently need more school spaces. Plus educate together badly needed for the vast ethnic mix in the area as well as parents who want religion kept out of the classroom

I was under the impression that Educate Together schools celebrate all religions. Which makes them multi-denominational as opposed to non-denominational. As such, religion is very much still in the classroom in Educate Together schools.

van_beano wrote: »
    I was under the impression that Educate Together schools celebrate all religions. Which makes them multi-denominational as opposed to non-denominational. As such, religion is very much still in the classroom in Educate Together schools.

You are correct

• Advertisement
Advertisement