Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove recommendations

Options
  • 27-04-2016 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy an insert stove non boiler for my living room in the near future. Does anybody here have any recommendations for a particular stove, stove shop in the city and a good stove installer at a decent price? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Looking to buy an insert stove non boiler for my living room in the near future. Does anybody here have any recommendations for a particular stove, stove shop in the city and a good stove installer at a decent price? Thanks in advance.

Bought my blacksmith anvil from heiton buckley on cork road.made in Waterford and lads out there are decent.would possibly have bought a Stanley in morriss if had money to but as it happens this was plenty big, would love to had got bigger one to heat water but didn't have money.I have had zero issues with the blacksmith in 4+ years.I'm sure they do inserts too but I personally went for stove type as don't like look of inserts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

You could try mulberry stoves over in slieverue. I got mine from them 6 years ago, though mine is a boiler freestanding stove i've never had any problems with it.

www.mulberrystoves.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Forever21

Henley achill insert , have one , brilliant stove once lighting for an hour have to fully open sitting room door and heat travels to hallway & into kitchen/dining & upstairs, bought it off Waterford fireplace just at end of Thomas street just before the quay also they fitted it & supplied whatever piping was needed, done a brilliant job

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

How much did you all pay? Whats the going rate for a decent stove from a shop in Waterford?

All depends on what stove you get, if I can remember the stove was about €600& piping & fitting all came to about €900 which included checking the chimney plus sweeping it & cowl for top of the chimney, they were brilliant money well spent , heating only in for about 2hours in evening just to heat the water & bedrooms before they go to bed & they still complain it's too hot. Gas bills only about €85 now & it could be a hell of a lower if I only put it on for a hour , on the other hand my daughter just has the gas & no stove & her bills are €300 so you'll never look back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Great info there, I spent 2000 euro on electric heating since September so a grand fit a stove seems good to me.

I want to avoid bringing coal through the house, what fuel do ye use and how much does it cost per week average?

I burn ecobrite in mine get it from McCarthy's in tramore as they deliver into the city on Saturdays , likewise the coal has to come through the house so I've a coal bunker out the back. It's a 12 bag bunker so I normally get a delivery in September & Christmas from them. Think it's €21 a bag but you'd get about 8-9 days from a bag depending on the weather. I normally light mine about 1ish with 2firelighters & some kindle, once that takes off I add the ecobrite & once that's nice & redish I turn the air vent down & that lasts till 5.30 then top it up nice & that's it for the evening , go to bed about 11 & next morning place still warmish. I don't burn much wood as I've nowhere to store just usually buy a bag of the kiln dried one from Morris's & keep it in basket next to fire To throw a log on if I'm staying up late on weekends. Never had a blackened glass burning ecobrite, others might have different ideas of what they burn in theirs. Have a look at the threads on the plumbing & heating section to get ideas of different fuels to burn , the lads on that section know their stuff. Gosh €2000 on electric heating since September is madness, once you have a stove you'll wonder why you didn't put one in long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The only thing stopping me is two small kids, but we'd get a total covering fire guard for safety.

Exactly plenty of good fire guards to be got in nearly all of the shops , saw loads in buy lo few weeks back & I think inserts are better as they don't protrude on the fire hearths, maybe because I've one !!, any ways you'll save loads on your heating & the kids will be cosy . Let us know how you get on , I'll upload a pic of mine for you

• Advertisement

image.jpegHere's another one when its not lighting so you can get a better view

Advertisement