Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sun

Options
  • 26-04-2016 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Over the years the Sun have offended many people and invaded the privacy of many others, Their sister paper the News of the world ceased publication after being exposed for their illegal phone tapping etc.
    Now that the official Hillsborough report shows that the Sun clearly contributed to the cover up and defamation of so many innocent people is'int it time this rag was banned? I have emailed the paper informing them that I will never purchase or read any of their publications again.
    Many innocent people died at a football game, that paper played a large part in ensuring that any kind justice took many decades and that families had to suffer for something that had nothing to do with their actions or those of their deceased relatives.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Don't even mention the rag...

Will they apologise tomorrow on their Headlines?

"No comment"

Was the answer when pressed earlier...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I protest my despise of the Sun on a daily basis by not buying the paper, or reading any of their articles. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Like the thread of human rights. Freedom of the press is fundamental to a functional democracy we can't just go banning every paper who we disagree with. No matter how much we may disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

An anti Irish rag.

Should never have been bought by anyone in this country. Surely you can't be that desperate to see a pair of tits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭baldbear

Banning a newspaper? Maybe in Russia or Turkey you could so that.

I Dont buy the Sun but its people choice . I was heading to a Liverpool game a few yrs ago & the amount of Irish Liverpool fans buying the Sun on the boat was embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I despise the Sun more than most for a variety of reasons, but a newspaper is only a mirror image of its readership. All through the seventies and eighties football fans were derided and vilified in the media as hooligans and yobs, and the public lapped it up. The Sun was playing to its audience, and it overplayed its hand big time, so I don't think banning it does any good, you can ban a scummy paper but you'll still have the scummy readership.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Like the thread of human rights. Freedom of the press is fundamental to a functional democracy we can't just go banning every paper who we disagree with. No matter how much we may disagree.

Freedom of the press is one thing when they're reporting the truth. Making up scurrilous stories that have since been proven to be lies is an abuse of that freedom and can't be excused.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Zaph wrote: »

Freedom of the press is one thing when they're reporting the truth. Making up scurrilous stories that have since been proven to be lies is an abuse of that freedom and can't be excused.
    I'm not excusing it I'm just saying we can't ban the sun

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

corkonion wrote: »
    I have emailed the paper informing them that I will never purchase or read any of their publications again.

Why now?
    This has been known for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Zaph wrote: »

would there be any papers left at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

corkonion wrote: »
    Over the years the Sun have offended many people and invaded the privacy of many others, Their sister paper the News of the world ceased publication after being exposed for their illegal phone tapping etc.
    Now that the official Hillsborough report shows that the Sun clearly contributed to the cover up and defamation of so many innocent people is'int it time this rag was banned? I have emailed the paper informing them that I will never purchase or read any of their publications again.
    Many innocent people died at a football game, that paper played a large part in ensuring that any kind justice took many decades and that families had to suffer for something that had nothing to do with their actions or those of their deceased relatives.

The one good thing that came out of that was the Sun's readership disappeared over night in the Merseyside, so I'd say the newspaper noticed that.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

A friend of mine from Toxteth told me that his neighbours boycotted the shops that sold the Sun after Hillsborough. I was with him in Liverpool city centre about a year after it and wanted a can of coke, my mate saw the Sun for sale and stormed out after calling the shopkeeper a traitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Worst "paper" of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭JoseWasntReady

I despise the Sun more than most for a variety of reasons, but a newspaper is only a mirror image of its readership. All through the seventies and eighties football fans were derided and vilified in the media as hooligans and yobs, and the public lapped it up. The Sun was playing to its audience, and it overplayed its hand big time, so I don't think banning it does any good, you can ban a scummy paper but you'll still have the scummy readership.

Wouldn't The Sun's circulation be largely amongst football fans too? Literally enriching a 'newspaper' that despises them.

Advertisement