Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to quit art for leaving cert or not?

Options
  • 26-04-2016 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

im thinking of dropping it, im in 5th years and im thinking of taking up biology instead, i just dont like the way less that 4% get an A at hl art. is it impossible to get like? if your relatively good at art and get all the art history right could you get one then??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Ron603

It's might be a bit too late to take up biology but you could always catch up during summer. I'm also doing art and I'm aiming for a B. I'm good at certain things such as painting and clay but not so good at drawing. You just need to find a medium that you're good at and stick with it. Art history is worth nearly 40% of the total exam and that involves mostly memorizing information, there are 2 other parts worth 25% each and the life drawing is 10%. Few people get A's and few people fail, majority get a B or a C which in the new grading system(from 2017 onwards) are worth between 77-56 points. Talk with your art teacher, she will definitely help you. Did you do art for the Junior Cert? My teacher said that if you get a C or above in higher level you're are well able to do art for the leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rosalind151

Biology is so much rote learning... It isn't hard as such but there's a lot of detail. I heard that very few get an A1 in art, but you have a decent chance of getting a good grade anyway. So unless you specifically need an A1 (as distinct from an A2 or B1), I would stick with art.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Yeah it'll be impossible to get if you're only "reasonably good at art". But I imagine it'd also be tricky to get an A1 in biology in a year and a bit. Maybe do art but just don't count it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Clodagh6

I regret keeping on art. If you like a doss class this is the one for you! History is very boring but has to be done well due to its high percentage. I was one of two who got an A in junior cert art in 2013, and I'm still worried about getting a B1 in the real thing. Not worth it in my opinion, I much prefer biology

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Clodagh6 wrote: »
    I regret keeping on art. If you like a doss class this is the one for you! History is very boring but has to be done well due to its high percentage. I was one of two who got an A in junior cert art in 2013, and I'm still worried about getting a B1 in the real thing. Not worth it in my opinion, I much prefer biology

Art is hardly a doss class. If you want to do well in it you have to work on it A LOT and have a lot of practice already built up throughout the years. Don't think that just because there aren't reams of information to learn off that it's a doss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement