Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

un-qualified Garda driving at speed and with blue lights flashing

Options
  • 26-04-2016 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭

So just heard on Radio news that some Garda have been driving at speed using blue lights and sirens ... who are not allowed to , because they have not took advanced driver training. What the hell are they doing out in the patrol car in the first place then? - its one of those situations where your thinking "did I hear that right on the news, or have I got it wrong!"

Apparently a said garda who speeds with blue lights flashing and sirens sounding without passing advanced driving test can be suspended for 3 weeks without pay.

have you heard about that?, whats your view on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It's ridiculous, how in the name of God are the Guards supposed to do their job if they aren't provided with proper training?
    Solely down to the ineptitude of our Government to make sure that this mandatory requirement is actually carried out.
    It's so fcuking laughable.
    What's the point giving them the keys to the bloody thing if they can't even be allowed to drive it properly when needed?
    May as well make them boyscouts at this stage or just incorporate them as the Civil Defence, no **** there are complaints about response times if they aren't even taught to drive the cars properly.
    They aren't given the training, they respond to an incident with their lights and sirens and because of that they are docked 2 weeks pay?? Fcuk off.
    Joke of a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

And more than likely in a clapped out squad car with a few hundred thousand hard miles on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Chijj

A damning indictment of senior management in the Gardai and successive governments.

Surely stuff like this would be a better use of the Garda ombudsman time to investigate and implement a robust policy than......wait, what is it they do again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

The other beauty is that none of them have had training on how to deal with an armed situation since... 2003.
    No point giving them fancy ass i30 diesels to drive around in if the red button get's them fired.
    Wouldn't surprise me if they end up arming the Gardai but don't actually train them on how to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭mrskinner

They put a computer in every classroom but did not train the teachers on how it could be used in education! Same with guns for Gardai?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

OP: Sheltered childhood, yeah?

Talk to Joe. Don't be using the web thing to do your homework.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Un-experienced?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thread: Be dead.

Big Chief: No speak.

Punter: No be munter.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I honestly thought it was a Waterford Whispers News story when I read it. To be honest, I still doubt that it is a genuine story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I honestly thought it was a Waterford Whispers News story when I read it. To be honest, I still doubt that it is a genuine story.

I'd say it's fairly genuine. Though with the caveat that the GRA is the body making the noise and have a vested interest in painting the bleakest of pictures for their members.

That said, even during the boom there were significant waiting times for advanced driver training and plenty of gardaí driving patrol cars without the relevant training. I suspect that position has gotten worse with less gardaí (a proportion of older gardaí who would have had the training have retired, and less of a training budget. The percentage of Gardai without the training has likely increased greatly in the past 5 years

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »

I'd say it's fairly genuine. Though with the caveat that the GRA is the body making the noise and have a vested interest in painting the bleakest of pictures for their members.

That said, even during the boom there were significant waiting times for advanced driver training and plenty of gardaí driving patrol cars without the relevant training. I suspect that position has gotten worse with less gardaí (a proportion of older gardaí who would have had the training have retired, and less of a training budget. The percentage of Gardai without the training has likely increased greatly in the past 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 43,026 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Could the Gardai not pay for an advanced driving course themselves taking the course on their days off or evenings to improve their skillsets like you would in any other career?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Could the Gardai not pay for an advanced driving course themselves taking the course on their days off or evenings to improve their skillsets like you would in any other career?

The Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005 says that training has to be paid for by the employer.

Gardai are employees. Why would the Gardai pay for work related training out of their own pocket?

That makes no sense.
    Gardaí have to train for about 2 years (to degree level) prior to becoming fully attested members. If advanced driving skills is a necessary aspect of their role, then their circa 2 years of training should include driver training.

Should individual members also pay for first aid, handcuff technique, court skills etc. training as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

This isn't anything new, it was reported mid 2004, but obviously nothing done about it since, then again in 2014

just look at the dates on the two articles below.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/concern-over-lack-of-blue-light-driver-training-1.1153901

http://www.herald.ie/news/gardai-cant-speed-or-flash-blue-lights-until-they-pass-test-30375350.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

It most certainly not a Waterford whispers article:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0426/784243-garda-representative-association/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't know what the training requirement is for turning on lights and sirens, but based on the driving at speed bit, then anyone with a speeding ticket also needs advanced driving training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Its their culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

There was traditionally 2 methods of driving in An Garda Siochana. Official ie trained having completed a 2 week course or 'Chiefs' which was permission to drive by your Chief but without any additional course, just your license.

There was lots of myths surrounding these two but essentially the rules were the same for both, you could speed, use lights, etc however if you were found to have been acting the maggot you lost your permission to drive or were prosecuted. Its your own personal license by the way, not a special Garda one so any points or convictions would effect you own insurance.

Its also been an issue for years and being allowed drive became some sort of reward system. Ridiculous really but thats what it was.

Then they introduced a new system, CPD1,2 and 3. This was too replace the old system BUT like everything in the Gardai, it was done arseways and you have an overlap of systems because there was insufficient training spots to actually train existing drivers nevermind new ones.

The new scheme (and due to numbers theres still people driving in 'chiefs' despite the new system being about 3 years old now) is CPD1 which does not allow breaking of laws or lights and sirens, CPD2 allows those limits to be removed but not pursuit or tactical driving and then CPD3 which is the top dog course, think ERU in fancy jeeps for this course not normal everyday 2 litre Mondeo.

The biggest issue is that CPD1 is not meant for or designed for nor copied from a system where first responders are only trained to that level. In the UK first responders are ALL CPD2, in the US all cops are CPD3 level.

then add in the fact that A, internal discipline says you cant break the limits but B, The law says that you not only can but have a responsibility to get to a serious call ASAP.

If a Garda fails to deal with a serious assault as an example and the reason is "I was waiting for a green light and a parking space" is he negligent in the eyes of the law?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I've noticed that all guards seem to be fully qualified to use a mobile phone while driving.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement