Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to frame non-psychology experience for AP/healthcare/research roles?

Options
  • 26-04-2016 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I'm currently working in a quantitative researcher role in a media research company (since Sep 2015) but have realised that this industry isn't for me and am looking to get back into more psychology related/working with client roles. At the time, I was in pure "I need a job stat" mode post-MSc. which definitely clouded my judgement!

I'd have a fairly executive role in all stages of the research process (i.e. proposals/study design/recruitment/data analysis (SPSS/NViVo/Excel/data output/oral presentations, but with the caveat of not being as scientifically rigorous. The question is, what is the best way to frame this experience when applying for more psychology-related jobs? Are there aspects of the job I should focus on when describing my experience in a cover letter or job application? Are recruiters likely to be less favourable to applicants who are not currently working/volunteering in a psychology focussed role? I'm only too aware of how competitive the field is!

In addition, I do have a year's honorary Assistant Psychology experience in an Addictions service the NHS and 6 months honorary research experience with two university projects, as well as my own MSc. dissertation so would it be more prudent to focus on these instead?

I'm happy to take any advice and thanks for any help you can give me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

There may be dissenting answers, put the psychology related work experience first. Then put the research - everyone needs experience with research. It will have given you the broad strokes of what's involved. Never play it down, never be ashamed! It's all life-experience too beyond the job itself - learning to work with others, dealing with team dynamics, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nonpsychy

Hi JuliusCaesar,

Just thought I'd say thanks for this advice as I've bagged myself a research assistant interview on top of it!

Advertisement