Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE - Supergarden

Options
  • 26-04-2016 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up,

RTE's Supergarden is back on tonight @ 8.30 RTE1

with the winner getting to display their show garden at Bloom in june.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone watching it? what do you think? who will win?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,347 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm just counting how many times I hear the word 'space'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

looking For a more recent super garden thread, couldn’t find one. Looking at this weeks supergarden, the spaces are now so small they’re ridiculous. I feel sorry for the contestants having to fit a play area, an entertaining space and a garden into what amounts to a postage stamp is unfeasable. The Spanish one would “Rot ya”and her f€&@90g colours….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Am I the only one to think these gardens aren't suitable to use for a design competition? The designs themselves are grand but these houses are occupied by families with kids and those garden designers are developing show gardens that are totally unsuitable for kids to play in.

This week the garden was tiny to begin with and then all the various structures took up most of the space. The kids were allocated a tiny space in the back corner with no room to run about. There were quite a few dangerous elements in the garden also, metal edging to the beds that would be lethal if a kid fell on it and the rough brickwork that was on the wall capping.

The idea of doing gardens for homeowners is good but the designs don't fit the purpose.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Yeah, totally agree. And I remember the garden the guy who is now a judge made when he won. His garden was totally un-child friendly. Now they're meant to make show gardens, that are child friendly, in a tiny space. Totally unrealistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭HotWaterCylinder

The quality of the work is mostly shocking.

And so far only one of them has had a clue about plants? She was such a sack 😂, great flower choice but a complete sack.

Crap garden overall

• Registered Users Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I hadn't seen any of the Supergardens so I just watched a (slightly abbreviated) episode. The one with the tiny contentious firepit in the corner, which was completely ridiculous. If they had used all the space that was cluttered with walls and too-narrow seats, including the corner and moved the firepit more central it would have made more sense. I agree with the judge about them being uncomfortable, and the little brackets holding them up were a bit doubtful too.

Even tipping that fire at an angle it is going to be too hot for people to sit in, and only 2 people at that. It will probably end up as a sand pit for the kids. The structures were not child friendly and there is no way three kids will stay in that tiny corner. The kids will play in the whole area and the table and chairs end up stacked to one side under a cover, to be brought out a couple of times a summer.

13 trees in a space like that! Trees grow, they never seem to think of that in this kind of planting, instant gratification and let the future take care of itself. You won't be able to see the area when all the leaves fall!

Interesting to see the final effort, and I will have a look at some other episodes to see what they made of it, but the whole thing appears to be the usual artificial, patched together for tv, too much money to spend for something that looks amazing for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i have only seen one ep this season. it was a foreign couple with young children. one of the first things they said was they bought the house so the kids could have a trampoline then showed the kids playing on it.

whats the one this not in the garden. a trampoline. how can a designer fail that badly at the basics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

One thing that supergarden demonstrates is how absolutely sad and tiny are the little bits of gardens that come with most homes now. It’s totally impossible to create a garden that meets the judges criteria, (play area, entertaining space, actual plants) in such a pitiful space. Last weeks show was a case in point. The addition of 13 trees as another contributor has pointed out was crazy. The judges don’t seem to have much idea tbh, it’s just a giant advertisement for woodies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Yeah that fire pit in the hole was a death trap for kids. Young families don't have time or money to mind a garden like that.. they should use the show to make community gardens or gardens for people who've lost a loved one etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Watched this last night. You are right. Very sad to see what passes for a garden these days. Some of those had to have wide angle lenses to make them look bigger.

Advertisement