Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does liberty insurance use misleading adverts??

Options
  • 26-04-2016 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

I have been seeing your adverts lately of a very competitive price of insurance on a 2011 Toyota Corolla, 1.4, valued at €8000, for €373 fully comprehensive. Amazing price, and I will buy a corolla tomorrow based on that quote...

But when I enter my details on the website the quote is a massive €628,and that is with "6 week free online on new policies " benefit . This is changing my details to show that I am employed as a Nurse.
    Only difference between my quote and the advertised quote is that my age is 35 - I am a Male, and I live in Donegal.

As far as I know insurance companies are not allowed to be sexist, so Please help explain the massive extra, for being 35, with 15 years claim free driving, and living in Donegal..

If you cant point out how many customers can avail of this offer, then due to advertising standards Im sure this advertising will need to be removed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Insurance premiums are based on statistics though, have you tried different ages and locations?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭stezie

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Insurance premiums are based on statistics though, have you tried different ages and locations?

no. id like it explained that my location and age is statistically so much more expensive to insure.. it would also be nice to see the data base that all these statistics are stored and retrieved from?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That's not the same as misleading. If what they're advertising is available to the demographic they stated on the ad, then there's not much anyone can do. 

FWIW my insurance is up for renewal, Liberty were miles off, going with Bank of Ireland as they were €450 less than Liberty. 

demographics aside, without sharing the statistics then they can say that one square kilometer in the wicklow mountains, is where this woman lives and there is zero accidents there.. doesn't really make it a fair comparison to the rest of the country.

Id be much happier if they gave an average example... for example, the average driver in working as a nurse in Ireland with a 2011 corolla is xxx per year.

• Company Representative Posts: 235 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Sean

stezie wrote: »
    I have been seeing your adverts lately of a very competitive price of insurance on a 2011 Toyota Corolla, 1.4, valued at €8000, for €373 fully comprehensive. Amazing price, and I will buy a corolla tomorrow based on that quote...

But when I enter my details on the website the quote is a massive €628,and that is with "6 week free online on new policies " benefit . This is changing my details to show that I am employed as a Nurse.
    Only difference between my quote and the advertised quote is that my age is 35 - I am a Male, and I live in Donegal.

As far as I know insurance companies are not allowed to be sexist, so Please help explain the massive extra, for being 35, with 15 years claim free driving, and living in Donegal..

If you cant point out how many customers can avail of this offer, then due to advertising standards Im sure this advertising will need to be removed?
    Hi Stezie

The premium shown in our current advertisement is based on a particular customer profile, details which are outlined in the advert. This quote provides an indication of how competitive our premiums can be. Each quote is based on our claims experience for different rating factors, for example, age, address, occupation, vehicle make and model, year of manufacture, no claims discount etc.

If a customer’s details differ from those outlined in our advertisement, this may be reflected in the quote we offer them. If you want to PM me with your quotation reference we will look into this further for you.

Regards

Seán

• Advertisement

How many customers to you have that has an annual premium of 373 per year for fully comprehensive insurance? 3 /4 maybe?

Is the profile in your ad an actual customer or a fictional best case character?

• Company Representative Posts: 235 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Sean

How many customers to you have that has an annual premium of 373 per year for fully comprehensive insurance? 3 /4 maybe?

Is the profile in your ad an actual customer or a fictional best case character?
    Hi Stezie
    Unfortunately we can give you any further information regarding our customer profiles. If you would like us to look into your quotation DM me with your quote reference.
    Regards 
    Seán 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Hi Stezie
    Unfortunately we can give you any further information regarding our customer profiles. If you would like us to look into your quotation DM me with your quote reference.
    Regards 
    Seán 
    Obviously from the above reply, the quote is unobtainable for anyone living in Ireland, alive or dead.  These quotations are plain unadulterated Bull manure.

Advertisement