Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway need a club

Options
  • 26-04-2016 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hiya Im moving to Galway from Maynooth to open a business and have a 16 year old son who is rugby mad and wanting to know if we are living in the city to be near one of the schools which is the best rugby club to join please

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Hiya Im moving to Galway from Maynooth to open a business and have a 16 year old son who is rugby mad and wanting to know if we are living in the city to be near one of the schools which is the best rugby club to join please

Galwegians are in the city pretty much, located on the Dublin Rd near GMIT

Corinthians are out the tuam Rd a fair bit out.

The above would have senior teams in the AIL and underage teams all the way up.

OLBC are located at the sportsground they don't have a senior team in AIL I couldn't tell you what their underage structures are like.

A few of the clubs starting out only have underage teams Barna being one but I don't know what age that stops at.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Galwegians as Connemara man are based on Dublin road beside GMIT. Corinthians are a few miles out the tuam road
    They are the biggest clubs and will have underage teams, generally very strong sides, at each age group

Then there is NUIG who are based in Dangan and have sides at underage up to under 17 and should have under 18.5s next season. Barna have minis and have joined with NUIG for youths teams.
    Any of the clubs above - wegians, Corinthians, NUIG. All good options

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

As the others have said but I would recommend Galwgians as they are very close to the city; an easy bike ride and even within walking distance if necessary. Senior team is currently in division 1A but due to be relegated to 1B for next season. Have a good underage setup and good coaches. A lot of Connacht players attached such as Darragh Leader and Caolin Blade. Aly Muldowney played for them early in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭FrPhelimYoung

prawnsambo wrote: »
    As the others have said but I would recommend Galwgians as they are very close to the city; an easy bike ride and even within walking distance if necessary. Senior team is currently in division 1A but due to be relegated to 1B for next season. Have a good underage setup and good coaches. A lot of Connacht players attached such as Darragh Leader and Caolin Blade. Aly Muldowney played for them early in the season.

Corinthian's is 7km from Eyre Square. (Wegians approx 3km). It'll be a car journey to the club for training but there are plenty of car pooling / lift sharing arrangements. Has been for years.

Corinthians have a strong underage structure and an excellent playing facility that is being invested in and developed all the time. The clubs senior side are a division below Wegians next season. Players like Marmion, Dillane, Bealham and Connolly are attached to the club ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

In terms of secondary schools, Coláiste Iognáid ('The Jes') have won the Connacht Senior Schools Cup 7 times in the last 14 years, they're based in the city (www.colaisteiognaid.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Curves Galway

As I imagined there is a lot of passion in rugby in the west, brilliant. I guess if i get him into Jes, which at this stage seems unlikely as its full, actually all of them are so not sure what that means for me. Nightmare guess I'll have to join the one the lads from that school are all going too. Sounds like all good anyway, depending what side you come from. Thanks for assistance.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OP, I've deleted the other thread you've started about this. Please don't create threads about the same thing in multiple forums. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Curves Galway

Sorry didnt realise i did.

Advertisement