Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can the good people of AH

Options
  • 26-04-2016 8:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

Perk up and start posting better threads. Ol Minty here hasn't much to reply to lately given the lacklustre quality threads being produced.

And if I can't post replies to threads it further degenerates the forum. A vicious cycle of boredom has enveloped this place. I suggest we pool together in this and put our AH thinking hats on going forward.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

My next thread "is water really wet?" Is still going to better than yours :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

My next thread "is water really wet?" Is still going to better than yours :mad:

Water isn't "wet" per sé, any more than steel or balsawood is "wet". This notion of wet is a very subjective class of a thing describing the way we feel when our skin comes into contact with this particular oxide of hydrogen. It is more accurate to say that we "get wet" when we come into contact with water, or are immersed in it. Water itself isn't wet - it just is, maaaaan. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,123 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I would, but I don't facilitate people who talk about themselves in the 3rd person..

jimgoose wrote: »
    It is more accurate to say that we "get wet" when we come into contact with water, or are immersed in it.
    :eek:
    Whatever you're into though Jim!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yes
    Samaris wrote: »
    No.
    Samaris wrote: »
    Maybe.

I don't know. Can you repeat the question? You're not the boss of me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It is more accurate to say that we "get wet" when we come into contact with water, or are immersed in it.

Kinda thing that might get you kicked out of a swimming pool though

• Advertisement

:eek:
    Whatever you're into though Jim!

We live to serve. Join us next week for a dissertation on the common misconception that gyroscopic precession has an influence on the balance of a pedal-bicycle. :D

Kinda thing that might get you kicked out of a swimming pool though

Strictly speaking you're more likely to be kicked out of the building housing the swimming pool. Actually kicking someone out of the pool would play havoc with their insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Invisible threads are the strongest ties.

Apparently having sex in the water can cause injuries. There you go now. Don't say you don't learn anything from a mint aero thread

Apparently having sex in the water can cause injuries. There you go now. Don't say you don't learn anything from a mint aero thread

Water is a terrible lubricant. I'd say it's the same sort of thing that can befall modern common-rail injection systems when underground diesel tanks at forecourts leak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I can speak from experience here. Not so, in fact I have had many more sexual injuries in bed than in swimming pools.

That's a beautiful comparrison JG.

FortySeven wrote: »
    I can speak from experience here. Not so, in fact I have had many more sexual injuries in bed than in swimming pools.

My housemate was having sex in a hot tub and nearly tore it off himself. There was a lot of blood

• Registered Users Posts: 22,272 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Water isn't "wet" per sé, any more than steel or balsawood is "wet". This notion of wet is a very subjective class of a thing describing the way we feel when our skin comes into contact with this particular oxide of hydrogen. It is more accurate to say that we "get wet" when we come into contact with water, or are immersed in it. Water itself isn't wet - it just is, maaaaan. :cool:

Wetness isn't a subjective class of feeling or emotion, it's the objective state of an object being covered with with or soaked in a liquid.

Water is especially liable to become wet because of it's phase states temperature correlation with our natural and domestic environment

Ice is not wet, but it turns to water when in contact with warm human skin or other sources of heat, water is a liquid, so anything it is in contact with is by definition wet, and water vapour is not wet, except that it tends to condense into liquid water when in contact with any surface or gas below 100 degrees C.

While we might argue philosophically about how much liquid contact is required in order to describe something as wet, but scientifically there are various measurements that distinguish between relative wetness and dryness depending on what is being measured.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Wetness isn't a subjective class of feeling or emotion, it's the objective state of an object being covered with with or soaked in a liquid.

Water is especially liable to become wet because of it's phase states temperature correlation with our natural and domestic environment

Ice is not wet, but it turns to water when in contact with warm human skin or other sources of heat, water is a liquid, so anything it is in contact with is by definition wet, and water vapour is not wet, except that it tends to condense into liquid water when in contact with any surface or gas below 100 degrees C.

While we might argue philosophically about how much liquid contact is required in order to describe something as wet, but scientifically there are various measurements that distinguish between relative wetness and dryness depending on what is being measured.

Agreed. In short, it's a wishy-washy makey-uppey term that's about as much real use as "metal fatigue"! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

My housemate was having sex in a hot tub and nearly tore it off himself. There was a lot of blood

Bejebus! What was he having sex with? Please tell me it wasn't the tub.

Fuel-rail out of a Mercedes E220 CDI, I believe.

A drunk teenager he met on tinder, who threw up on him because she was after skulking 2 bottles of wine, boiling in the hot tub, and the cherry on top was the blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

A drunk teenager he met on tinder, who threw up on him because she was after skulking 2 bottles of wine, boiling in the hot tub, and the cherry on top was the blood.

Possibly both the funniest and grimmest thing I've read in a long time :pac:

Possibly both the funniest and grimmest thing I've read in a long time :pac:

Turn of phrase, wha'?? Lexie is a sort of girly Paddy Kavanagh for the new century! :D

Advertisement